Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to keep all my family info ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 26 Apr 2013 12:06

I have lots of family info from various people on here... etc...that I would like to keep in one place; where can I store it on here ?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Apr 2013 12:11

I do not think you can

However, I store all my information in a database on my computer and then this is also stored on an external harddrive.

So I have all my family photos (1000's) scanned (and hard copies in boxes etc). All my BMDs scanned and saved. And written stories and comments also stored this way.

My tree is not on here but on another Genealogy site (which I prefer for my London/Lancashire ancestors) most of this info is also held on there, but my tree is private and cannot be accessed, even through Mundia.

Reggie

Reggie Report 26 Apr 2013 12:12

What type(s) of 'info'?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2013 13:11

If it's text you could probably C&P in into the Note's section of the person if it's large enough. For pictures and documents, then you could upload them to the keepsafe and attach.

I don't like to rely on an on-line site and much prefer to having an off line tree with everything noted or attached to that.

If you don't want one, you could create folders on your computer and store the various documents in that under each named person. Definately back it up either on an external hard drive, CD or thumb drive. 'The Cloud' is the newest storage innovation if you were that way inclinded!

GHeather

GHeather Report 26 Apr 2013 14:41

Ok, thanks for the info. :-) <3