Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Main aim in your family research... ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 16:57

What is now your main aim in your family research ? To get back as far as you can, or go back in time... just with your own surname perhaps ?? What interests you the most at the moment: your father's line or mother's line ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 17:19

I suppose we ALL would like to go back as far as we can... but not easy is it! Old handwriting, etc...

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Apr 2013 17:49

My main aim of family research was not to go as far back as possible or to follow the maternal or paternal line

It was in order to research,

Where they came from,
What they did for a living,
What there lives were like
What if any hardships they endured,

Roy

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 18:22

Thanks for this Roy, interesting. :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Apr 2013 18:25

My main aim is to solve a conundrem on my paternal line, which only surfaced after a long period of researching each, individual child in a single family.
Born between 1798 and 1824, some married and emigrated to OZ, whilst others remained in Scotland,
This line do seem to be working class, but the male children at least, must have had a decent education
Most were involved in engineering as their main line of work but they had other "hobbies" which included: political speech writing, music, vocals and elocution.
(Irrespective of whether they lived here or OZ)

I would love to understand how their formal education came about !

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 18:33

Thanks for this GlasgowLass, that's very interesting!

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 28 Apr 2013 19:28

My original aim was to expand a basic tree of my fathers line which my cousin had started some years previously. While doing this I started to search my Mothers line and found that another cousin had "stalled" on that side so we got together.

My Dads lot were weavers and sailors, My Mums family were farm labourers so I started reading about those professions, then about railways which helped people move aound the country, then about the industrial revolution and its effect on agriculture.

I feel that history adds a third dimension to the people in your tree and brings them, in some way, back to life. It's like a duty to the past.

Sorry but the nice men in the white coats are coming now. :-S

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 23:49

Thanks for that Malcolm, I enjoyed reading it. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Apr 2013 23:50

Malcolm, where does your Robb family come from ? Dundee ? I have a friend from there, with that surname.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 29 Apr 2013 08:12

Well it's probable that our Robb line was from either Perth or Angus (Dundee) back in the 16th century however my tree currently starts in East Fife around 1630 and is very centred in KIrkcaldy up until the 1920's after which we exploded all over the planet! :-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 29 Apr 2013 09:22

My main aim, currently, is to find out something of my elusive paternal grandfather, I can't even find where the man was born!! Talk about a brickwall. All I have is his original marriage cert to grandma in 1920 and 2 photos. He naffed off in 1927/28 never to be seen again, oh, and he clearly wasn't born or died in the UK :-( A challenge? I'd say so!!

But that wasn't my original reason for starting my family tree.
The curiosity started when I was in my teens, but on a more serious note about 30 years ago when my curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to know about my Dad's maternal side of the family which included Taggs of Thames Ditton and Taggs Island, and decided to look into it. I visited the area, and read up about Thames Watermen and Lightermen, and wrote to allsorts of people (no internet in those days) and in turn it took me to learning more about social and local history, and so it goes on, one thing leads into the next.

I don't stop at names and bmd dates, I like to learn about the person I'm researching - what job did they do, where did they live, what was the area like, how did they get from A to B, why did they move from here to there, where are they buried etc etc and where possible I visit their town or village, and their grave, the curch they were baptised or married in, I wander about, take photos and learn what I can of the local history. I feel that I get to know them.

I'm not in a rush to get back as far as I can, although I suppose that is the ultimate aim. I prefer to research each person in my tree thoroughly, rather than name-collect, as I prefer to concentrate on accuracy and the quality of my information.

Hubby doesn't share my enthusiasm in family history, he chuckles, and says I have an unhealthy obsession with dead people. Yep, I love 'em. <3

Sorry, I seem to have prattled on a bit, don't I :-0

Karen

Blue1

Blue1 Report 29 Apr 2013 10:42

I started my family tree in 2008 after the death of my father.
His surname was Urquhart.My main was, I wanted to know,which Urquhart's my line descended from.
However, added my Granny's Geddes's family and my tree took on a life of it's own.

I've met some great people on various sites including relatives I didn't know. The most recent were my Granddad Urquhart's mothers family of Robertson's from Peterhead.Very interesting family.Arctic Whalers,fisherman and Sea captains. They also had connections to the Gordon Highlanders and local politics.

I still don't know the answer to my original question though.

Blue1

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Apr 2013 11:42

Thanks for the interesting postings: Karen in the D, and Blue 1. :-D

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 Apr 2013 15:13

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1180557 :-)

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 29 Apr 2013 20:57

My daughter and myself started our researching on here back in 1998 My Mum had died on 1992. My Dad was still alive so he was able to give me some names of his aunts and uncles. Although both of his parents came from large families, tracing his family was quite easy really.

Bur more than anything I want to know my Irish roots!

Only Mum's youngest sister was still alive but had dementia so I had no one of her generation to ask what they knew. My cousins were just as much in the dark as I was. I knew that my Irish grandparents, Mum and her sisters left Dublin City in 1928 and settled in Kilburn, London and that was it. I did remember Mum telling me back in the 1980's, that her mother was a Brady. I could also remember Mum writting to her Aunt Alice in New York, USA when I was a child. But I had no idea who this Aunt Alice was. Was she a Brady or a Pollard?

I had Mum's old address book.....there were some names and addresses in the USA! But of course I had no idea how current the names and addresses were, but vital information for the future, I was to discover later on.

I put the Bradys on hold and decided to try and trace the Pollards.

Of course back then, there were only the www.familysearch records on line to search for Ireland. Couldn't find Grandpops on there. Well I didn't know when or where in Ireland he was born! I knew he died in London so sent off for his Death Certificate. He died 1959 aged 28.

So I bit the bullet and signed up with Ancestry.com to see if I could find any Pollards in the USA. I added my tiny Irish family tree and I found an Alice Pollard born Dublin in someones tree.

Sent the person a message but got no response.

Later on I discoverd a relative had sent the person a message and he had a reply. So I sent a message to him.

Yes it was my Gt aunt Alice in the tree! I quoted the names and addresses out of Mum's address book and they were Gt aunt Alice's relatives. My second cousin Pat then gave me the names of Alice's siblings. It was because of Pat that later on I was able to get all of their birth certificates from Dublin, Ireland, and eventually our Gt Grandparents marriage certificate. However, they took forever to arrive. Thankfully their system for ordering certificates is much swifter now!

The Brady's were a bit more difficult. I think I waited for nearly 2 months for my Irish grandparents marriage certificate to arrive.

I phone my cousin (daughter of Mums only surviving sister) as her Mum was in hospital and I was telling her I was researching our family tree. She had her Mum's address book with her and she gave me some names, addresses and phone numbers, saying that they were her Mum's relatives but didn't know how exactly they were related.

I phoned the ones in the UK and discoverd they were descended from the Brady line and wrote to another in the USA. Had a letter back with lots of copy certificates and Baptism records too..yes she was descended from my Gran's sister Martha.

My 'Irish' lever arch file is now bursting at the seams with Irsh BDM certificates and I've discovered so many relatives I never knew existed in theh USA, Australia and of course Ireland.

I just wish my Mum and her siblings were alive to see it all. :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Apr 2013 07:26

When I first started out many years ago It was simply to try and find out who my wife and my ancestors were. We had accumulated various bits of information over the years but in no semblance of order and no guarantees that any of it was correct.

That initial aim was largely met but in recent years I have moved on to researching what I terms as mini one-name studies. These are usually names which are connected to our main pedigree lines, either directly or by marriages and more often than not have a geographical connection too.

These studies can, in turn, lead to many many contacts with other researchers who often turn out to be distant cousins too.

wisechild

wisechild Report 30 Apr 2013 08:05

IGP
Mini one name studies is a good way to describe it.
Having looked at all 4 lines for my grandparents, I then started tracing their siblings families & from there it has just snowballed.
Some of the links have been quite interesting & have discovered several examples of couples being related several generations back (& probably unaware of the fact)

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Apr 2013 13:21

I enjoyed reading ALL of the above, thanks very much for sharing your interesting family info, brill! :-D <3

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 30 Apr 2013 16:46

I love reading everyone's stories, a great thread GHeather :-)

And many thanks to Joy :-) for posting the link to another, similar, thread which has been going for some years now. I've just re-read the whole thread. It's so very interesting. :-D

Karen

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 30 Apr 2013 17:04

I feel the same as Roy :-D