Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's a 'Skin Collector'???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 3 May 2013 17:36

I've found a relative on the 1861 census, from Sligo Ireland and his occupation is down as a 'Skin Collector' Haven't a clue what type of skin, human or animal, sounds gruesome to me. Is there anyone on here who might know more than me??? :-S

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 May 2013 18:29

Guessing...

Trapping, killing and skinning animals to sell on to the fur/clothing trade? Rabbits maybe?

Chris

Kense

Kense Report 3 May 2013 18:33

By googling "skin collector occupation" I found a couple of references. It seems that they collected animal skins from rabbits and hares, sometimes cats, in a similar manner to rag and bone men.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 May 2013 20:23

And also Rat Catchers were paid by the amount of rats they caught so they would keep the skins to prove how many they had caught. They are often depicted wearing the rats/skins from their belts.

Sally

Sally Report 3 May 2013 21:49

piglets pal
that's interesting

my gt gt granddad was a rat catcher

sally w <3

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 May 2013 21:56

Could also be mole skins as they were used to make coats

Lesley

Lesley Report 4 May 2013 07:56

thanks for that, sounds disgusting though