Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Members with limited recources

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fredk

Fredk Report 3 May 2013 19:48

I have very limited rescources and wonder if it is worth my time trying to reply to the help posts.There seems to be plenty of others with more resourses willing to help

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 May 2013 20:03

It isn't a race to see who can find info first Fred .

If you want to try and help then go for it.

I sometimes post and thensee someone else found the same info a bit earlier ,but hey ho it doesn't matter ,

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 3 May 2013 20:08

I don't think you are wasting your time Fredk. If you enjoy helping other members, then do it. It's very possible that you will spot something that another has missed and I think it's always better to have a second, or third, or fourth opinion. :-D

Fredk

Fredk Report 3 May 2013 20:15

I have been trying to help I do sometimes post but l sometimes feel against all the experts I am wasting my time. Some of you must of seen my efforts

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 3 May 2013 20:21

Go for it Fredk, even though i subscribe to more than one site, by the time i post a reply im usually about last, but hey ho no problem.sometimes you will come up with a gem that no one else has spotted

If you enjoy helping others just carry on mate, plus it also helps you when you see the replies others post from other sources, i often think where on earth was that found :-D

George

jax

jax Report 3 May 2013 20:21

It has always been like that Fredk

When I started helping 3 years ago, I felt the same but the good thing was there were so many more threads to help on compared with now...in time I got quicker.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 May 2013 20:33

Fredk - as people have said, it's not about getting there first with the info. It's no bad thing if more than one person posts the same census, it just reinforces that the info is correct.

Apart from helping the posters find info, quite a few of us do it to improve our skills to assist our own research. I'm continually learning from the other researchers. You also learn about presenting the info so it's easily understood and explaining it so the person asking for help understands.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 3 May 2013 20:37

Go for it Fredk, the more the merrier - I'm so slow these days - other days I need help myself - mind goes blank

It doesn't matter if somebody finds the answer quicker - it is your personal achievement that counts.

I couldn't care less if I don't get a thank you but others think it is important.

:-D :-D :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 3 May 2013 20:43

Stick with it Fred the more lookups you do the more you learn about how to find info.

I have often posted a reply and then deleted it because someone found the same thing before me.

Wendy

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 May 2013 21:18

I'd agree with what others have said Fredk to keep helping, because though you might not be as quick as some ( I'm not either) sometimes it's spotting something that's not 'obvious' that makes all the difference in helping.

Perhaps just seeing a mistranscription, or knowing a certain area of the country yourself, or just having come across records via google that aren't on the main 'fee paying' sites.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 May 2013 21:20

None of us is an expert..............or would ever wish to be thought of as such

We try to help using our resources, and experience...............and sometimes we get it right.

Don't ever stop trying to help..................at least you are using your resources for the benefit of others.......which is laudable.

And, as has been said, having the same info posted by different people does rather serve to suggest that it is likely to be accurate - and relevant.

And you may be the one to find the crucial item of data which unlocks a mystery, and has been missed by others...........

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 May 2013 23:53

"I couldn't care less if I don't get a thank you but others think it is important."

Surely it is good manners to thank someone for any help given.

Fredk,

We all look for info in different ways so you might just find something that the other helpers have not.

There is a lot of enjoyment in helping others so do not give up.

Good luck and keep at it.

Maureen

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 May 2013 02:09

NanaSue posted ...........

"I couldn't care less if I don't get a thank you but others think it is important."

As GB said ................. it is surely only good manners to thank someone for doing something for you, especially if they have spent a long time doing it?

However, to me, it is more important to know that the work I've done has been seen, rather than ignoredl

This is where what Cynthia does becomes very important ............. all those little pms that she sends to new members (or apparent new members) unused to how the Boards work who have not returned to their thread. She tells them how to find their thread again ................ so many people expect GR to notify them automatically of new posts on threads.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 May 2013 08:59

I know how you feel FredK :-)

After I got used to how these boards work, I wanted to help too. However, I soon found out that I was so slow compared to all the other folk.

The boards were really, really busy back then and I noticed that there was a lot of negative comments about new folk not replying to the help given them.

I decided then and there that I could help by letting new members know that they had replies to their queries.

My work was done 'behind the scenes' so to speak and kept me busy for absolutely ages each day because of the sheer volume of threads.

Most of the time, my work was very much appreciated by those who had been waiting for an email to alert them to the fact that they had had a reply. I had a few 'nasty' replies from people who didn't understand what I was on about, but they were very few and far between. Haven't had an unpleasant reply for over 2 years now I don't think. :-)

Just recently, I decided to add a comment onto those threads where I have sent a message - just to let the helpers know really.

Last year, I was told by GR that I had the largest mail box on the site.......and that they were using my statistics to help them deal with some of their problems.

It just goes to show that we don't all have to be good at the same thing.....we all have our own talents and, maybe, you will find a niche that you are comfortable with. Good luck. :-)

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 4 May 2013 09:16

SylviaInCanada have to admit you have helped me in the past with some very very difficult ones - I'm always grateful. I never ask for help unless it is a really complicated so I've been astounded at the results.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2013 13:41

My advice would be to do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Don't feel that you have to be up against the 'experts' - they don't necessarily get it right all the time, nor is their modus-operandi always the best way either.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 4 May 2013 16:04

If you feel that it's not worth your time-fine-OK.

I am certain that you know a lot more about Suffolk and North*nts (see-I can't even spell it) than some of us .

Learn about the free sites as much as possible.

Stopping here ...I'm making myself yawn.
BTY...GEORGE ....you sent all 24 or so pages for that recent look up ...WOW
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Maureen

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2013 18:19

Was the last posting really necessary?

Fredk

Fredk Report 4 May 2013 18:22

Many thanks all for your encouragement. I wiil continue posting when I can

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 4 May 2013 19:30

"InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2013 18:19