Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Order of Removal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 May 2013 17:16

Ancestry now has London Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records for 1828 - 1930 and London Overseer Returns 1863 - 1894. Some of them have quite a bit of info. If you need a look up just ask.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 May 2013 21:54

Your welcome, I had a feeling that was the case, but not knowing the facts thought it best for you to read it for yourself

Roy

ann

ann Report 6 May 2013 21:34

Roy I have found the answer on there. Poor woman was single and expecting baby Elsie at 15 years old.
Thanks

ann

ann Report 6 May 2013 21:29

Thanks Roy that is worth a read
Annie

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 May 2013 21:13

This may help

Settlement Examination. The examination took place under the auspices of the Overseer of the Poor and a Justice of the Peace and was carried out to determine whether the person had a legitimate right to residency in the parish. The results of an examination are found in Examination Papers.

Following the findings, a guilty person would be served a Removal Order and then, forcibly if necessary, removed from the parish. These procedures were part of what is known as the Old Poor Law.

From

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/Settlement-CertificatesExaminations-and-Removal-Orders-Parish-amp-Poor-Law/173/

Worth reading

Roy

ann

ann Report 6 May 2013 21:09

I have found my friends great grandmother taken into the poor union by her mother in 1897 age 15.Mother never stayed.She was put in there under order of removal. First time I have heard of this. Does it mean a court had ordered her removal for whatever reason? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Annie