Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption advice please !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Karen Report 7 May 2013 14:41

Wondering if anyone can help?

My uncle was born in 1943 and was adopted by his Auntie and her husband . He knows who his birth parents were and has an original b/c. In the final column of the register extract of his b/c iit says 'adopted' and the registrars signature so we assume it was done legally!
Would his birth have been re registered in the indexes somewhere under the new name ? I can't see him there. I'm assuming adoptees were re listed as otherwise might find out they were adopted by accident ?
We are trying to find details of when exactly the adoption took place. He did live with another auntie beforehand so possibilities she may have adopted him but it don't work out.
Any advice would be great, thanks


Jonesey Report 7 May 2013 15:01

The fact that he now has a copy of his original birth certificate implies, to me at least, that his adoption was indeed formal and that he probably gained access to the b/c following obtaining his adoption records, probably via social services.

My understanding is that in cases of adoption there is not a re-registration of the birth but that the adoptive parents are given a short version of a birth certificate for the adoptee. The short version does not show the child's natural or adoptive parents details.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.


+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 May 2013 15:14

Assuming he is living, he should be able to obtain a copy of his adoption records from Social Services, or the organisation/charity who arranged it. Looking for one in the vacinity of his birth or where his birth parent(s) lived is probably the best place to start.

If he is now deceased, then access is closed to everyone.


Kay???? Report 7 May 2013 15:25

Your uncle can apply for a full copy of his adoption certificate,which replaces any former birth certificate,


Penny Report 7 May 2013 18:19

You wont find him in the adopted name in the birth registers - you only get one shot at that!
His name WILL be in the adoption register - his new name that is- but that isn't available on line, nor cross- reference- able ( is that a word? Cross-reference-able? You get my drift I am sure


Karen Report 7 May 2013 19:01

Thanks for your replies!
He has a copy of his original birth certificate as he was told many years ago he was adopted and who his parents were. Therefore he's known his birth name to apply for a copy of the original register entry.
He hasn't contacted social services as far as I know so that may be an idea, thanks.

He is still alive and i have today applied for a copy of his adoption certificate from the GRO using only his adoptive name, adoptive parents names and his date of birth. Not sure how much this will tell us but there was a long or short version available so I went for the long.

Thanks for clarifying the once only entry into the registers ! I wonder how many people look to apply for a long version of their birth cert and find out they are adopted that way ??
We are hoping to find out when the adoption took place and if any reasons were given so I think he will have to apply via the records office and be counselled as he was born before 1975 from what I can gather from the GRO website.

Thanks again


KempinaPartyhat Report 7 May 2013 19:26

even if he knows his birth name he may not be able to get his birth certificate unless he goes to social services

Good Luck my friend found them really helpful and kind to her situation