Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

order certificates?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 18 May 2013 15:10

Hi jax yes i emailed them but haven't heard anything as of yet. As you say it doesn't always show messages in the other box. We know Robert was born in ireland but have to wait 5 days and then will hopefully carry on the search from there.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 18 May 2013 14:19

Graham I ordered online with no problems there is an option of knowing the index ref or not. I proceeded as not having the ref no. You have to wait longer for the certificate, if it is issued, but if they cannot match the information you get your money refunded. Money returned using Worldpay. :-D :-D

Graham

Graham Report 18 May 2013 13:58

I recently ordered a certificate and they asked for an index number, which they said was the date (of the event) in the format mm/yyyy ;-)

jax

jax Report 18 May 2013 13:24

Did you try contacting the children of that marriage on facebook? it would have saved you £9,25

As I said there was another man with the same name who was nearer in age to the spouse and was born not to far from where they married.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 18 May 2013 12:42

That you to everyone who helped, i got threw on the phone and have no ordered the certificate and set up account, So in 5 days ill know if its my grandad and can hopefully start the trace from there.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 18 May 2013 12:28

You can order without a GRO ref. I have recently order a birth cert for 1876 without a ref or an exact date of birth.

I entered who I thought her father was and 01/01/1876. They searched the year before, the year and the following year. On this occasion they did not find a record and refunded me the whole fee of £9.25

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 May 2013 11:34

Yes that is right but you also need the registration district and the year and quarter

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 May 2013 11:31

Unless someone knows differently, the Volume Number and page are the only gro index reference numbers you need.

Check that you have filled in all the necessary parts of the form - there is usually a computer generated 'telling off' in red if you've missed something.

If you wanted to PM me the entry, I don't mind going through the motions to see what is going on.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 18 May 2013 10:56

Hi all,
im having a bit of trouble when i phone them to order on the phone they say the have got lots of calls and cut u off but when i do it on line there are asking for the GRO Index Reference Number, what is this? The only number i have are the ones you get on here, Volume Number and page.
jennifer

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 May 2013 19:16

Hi Jax i have sent u a message thank you. Hi KenSE i live in Cumbria and the wedding was in Manchester, i used to live down there so still do back some times and its only 2 hours away. As for other ancestors were not sure at the moment as it looks like my grandmother had 6 or 7 children and 6 husbands, but seemed to lye about a few thing on her many marriage certificate. lol

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 May 2013 18:27

It usually depends on what the individual parish does with its records and then how far transcribing has got.

On the SEAX site there are records for Barking which are on line (but not searchable). They go up to 1967 for marriages, but I don't think any other Essex parish has on-line records that recent.

Jennifer, I suppose you don't live in the same county where the marriage took place. If so a visit to the record office might be worth considering, especially if there are other ancestors who used to live there.

jax

jax Report 13 May 2013 16:47

Find My Past This one was in Sheffield and gave all details apart from occupations, address's and witness's

Send me a private message and will have a look

Just done a random search and there seems to be some in Sheffield, Kent and Cambridgeshire...but not all so not sure why some are and some are not listed

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 May 2013 16:37

hi jax, sorry to sound stupid but what is the fmp and do i find it lol.

jax

jax Report 13 May 2013 16:27

It depends I have just seen a 1969 marriage on FMP which gives all details

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 May 2013 16:21

No I don't think there are many places that would have parish records on-line for 1967.

Follow the link that Adeline gave. You only need to give one of the names and make sure the other information (volume page year quarter district) is correct.

If you found it on freeBMD use the spectacles icon there to look at the original image and check it has been transcribed correctly.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 May 2013 16:09

Hi
No there isn't .i,m afraid .you will have to order the cert for its info :-)

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 May 2013 15:51

I've never order a certificate before. I have the Volume Number, Volume Page and also the names of both the people and where they were married. Is there anyway to see parish records online for 1967? Thank you all for your help.

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 May 2013 15:14

Before you order any it may be worth checking whether the information is on line.

If you are talking nineteenth or early twentieth century and they got married in church then parish records may be available and the information on the images is the same as you get on a certificate.

So could save you some money by asking on here.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 May 2013 15:09

You will need the GRO ref to order it .do you need help with that'?

Adeline

Adeline Report 13 May 2013 15:07

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Cost: £9.25