Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robinson Family 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 18 May 2013 15:02

Anybody help?Looking for William Robinson,b.c.1873 who married Isabella Hardy,
b.c.1877, at Gateshead Registry Office in 1897.Unable to find them and their 2 children,William(Willie),b.c.1900 and John,b.c.1898/9,in the 1901 Census.Why?
Isabella remarried in 1904 to Martin Prendergast and the 2 children are with them in 1911Census in Framwellgate,Durham.Appreciate any help.
Terry L.

Thomas

Thomas Report 18 May 2013 15:30

Where about was William Robinson born?

Thomas

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 18 May 2013 15:46

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837-1915
about William Robinson
Name:

William Robinson
Date of Registration:
Apr-May-Jun 1897
Registration Distric
Gateshead
Inferred County:
Durham
Volume Number:
10a
Page Number:

Records on Page:
Name
Margaret Ann Creighton
Isabella Hardy
Felix Magee
William Robinson

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 May 2013 15:56

Also posted on Find Ancestors Board

Terence

Terence Report 18 May 2013 16:07

Hi Thomas.Not certain but appears to be Durham City.
Terry L.

Thomas

Thomas Report 18 May 2013 16:48

I may have found him, do you know if he worked in a shipyard?

Thomas

Terence

Terence Report 18 May 2013 19:20

Sorry Thomas,but I think he was a Coal Miner.

Terry L.

Thomas

Thomas Report 18 May 2013 19:28

Do you know a house he might have lived him, if so what's the address.
There's always a possibility William wasn't home at the time of the census.

Thomas

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 May 2013 20:36

Also on:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1325024?jump=1325024

There's more info on that one.

Terence

Terence Report 19 May 2013 13:34

Thomas,from his marriage cert.it says William was living at 5,St.James St.G'Head.
His Father's name was John Robinson also a Coalminer.Isabella was living at 10,Jackson St,G'Head.Her Father was Thomas Hardy,Brickburner.I'm fairly new to genealogy but seems strange not one of a family of 4 appear to be recorded in the 1901 Census. There was a third child,George,b.1904,(the year Isabella remarried ),
with William as the father.Hope this is helpful.
Terry L.

Thomas

Thomas Report 19 May 2013 20:14

The mines are no place for young children (although many children were working in the mines at about the age of 14) The children could have been elsewhere
I will have a look thought

Thomas

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2013 21:22

sorry, Thomas

children were working in the mines form as young as 4 or 5 in the bad old days ................ which would include tu as late as the 1890s.

Thomas

Thomas Report 19 May 2013 21:33

I didn't know the exact age, all I knew is that my Great grandad was in the mines at 14 so that's where. I got that from

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2013 21:58

Thomas

it is quite horrifying when you do more reading and researching on when children began working in any kind of occupation, right up until the early 1900s

My own parents left school and went to work at the age of 12, and that was during WW1. Dad went down the mines at some point, although I do not know whether that was at the age of 12, or sometime later. It was get work wherever you can during WW1.

School leaving age increased to 14 sometime in the 1920s, I believe

In many farming communities and small villages, up until the 1890s, children as young as 3 would be helping in the fields at sowing time, and at harvest.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2013 21:59

Helpers ..................

please note ....................

There are more replies on the thread that Terry started on Genealogy Chat .........

...... link given above by MC

please check there to avoid too much duplication of research.

Thomas

Thomas Report 21 May 2013 21:20

It was illegal to work in the mines at a certain age, so on the census' parents would list the working children as scholars so they wouldn't get into trouble when really they were in the mines, my Gr grandad left the mines on the first day of him working as one of the tunnels caved in! He ran out, so the other miners thought he was trapped under the rubble ;-)