Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption records 1910

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Feb 2014 20:06

Hi there, I have a sneeky suspicion a relative of mine was adopted at birth. I think this from the records, is there a way of finding out?

Thelma

Thelma Report 10 Feb 2014 20:11

I think adoption began in 1927. There would be no official record.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Feb 2014 21:31

Quite often someone in the wider family circle would take on the upbringing of a child.
The child's name may or may not change to that of that family, although it may already be that surname already.

Do you want to give a few details for your suspicions and any records found?

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2014 04:43

Thelma is quite correct ..................

official adoption records began in mid-1927.

before that, adoptions were unofficial, often by members of the same family ............. or from an orphanage, workhouse etc.

Some orphanages may have kept records ............. but in general, it is impossible to determine whether a child has been adopted, or by whom.

It is also important to note that records on adoption after 1927 are opened only fro the adoptee.

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Feb 2014 12:59

Formal adoption, as we now know it, did not exist in England and Wales until 1927. Before then, adoptions were usually informal. In a few cases there was some legal documentation, but no central register.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/adoption.htm

The corresponding law for Scotland took effect in 1930. I'm not familiar with the English law, but the Scottish law allowed for the adoption of minors, which at that time meant persons under the age of 21.
I'ld be surprized if the English law was difft in this respect, but I don't know.
So even if an informal adoption had taken place in 1910, there might be a later formalization of that adoption.
However, I don't know how much access the general public has to the GRO's Adopted Children Register.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Feb 2014 13:27

Hello Michael and welcome to the Community boards.

Note. I will let Michael know that he has replies to his query. :-)