Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What relationship are half-sibling's children?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 26 Feb 2014 23:15

If you have half-siblings, what relationship are their children to you? Does the term half-nephew or half-niece exist, or are they simply nephew and niece?

I'd be very grateful if someone could advise.

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 27 Feb 2014 00:28

Yes - and No!

Those words are in some dictionaries. Does the exact relationship really matter, as in a need for someone to know that there is not a full blood relationship? If not, then use niece. My wife's brother has a son - my wife's nephew. I also refer to him as my nephew, not nephew-in-law (which probably isnt in a dictionary). Imagine saying, "This is my half-second-cousin once removed". Perfectly true, but 'young cousin' would do for a non family member.

B

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Feb 2014 07:47

Their children are your half nieces and nephews, and your children their half cousins.

However you call them whatever you feel comfortable with. My grandfather married twice and there are 31 years between the eldest from the first marriage and youngest from the second and therefore similar age differences between the half cousins.

Because of this age difference I always knew my half cousins as Aunts as they were a generation older than me.

Sonya

Sonya Report 27 Feb 2014 11:08

Thanks for your input. Of course, in everyday life you just refer to people as nephews, nieces and cousins. I just wondered what the technically correct relationship was.

We have a similar situation with the generations, Inspector. It can get confusing at times, especially when you discover that many of the Aunties and Uncles you knew as a child aren't actually relations, but just friends of your parents!

Eileen

Eileen Report 27 Feb 2014 13:08

I too had half siblings whom I thought were my Aunts and Uncles, and I even called my dad's first wife grandma. I was in my teens before I knew the truth. I still call my half nieces and nephews cousins as it's too complicated to explain, and any way, most of them are older than I am. I had to smile at Inspectors comments. Our neighbours were also known as aunts and Uncles. No wonder we grow up confused. :-S

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Feb 2014 13:23

It was very confusing when i was growing up, All mum and dad's freinds where addresses by us as Aunts and Uncles and there children where refered to as cousin,

No wonder i thought our family was related to the entre village :-0

Roy :-D