Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Meadley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

katqueen

katqueen Report 6 Mar 2014 20:23

I am looking for Sarah Meadley born in Liverpool in 1906 to Thomas and Ann Meadley. The last record I have of her is as an inmate in Olive Mount Cottage Homes in the 1911 census. She spent her previous 5 years in and out of various workhouses and cottage homes in Liverpool. I can find no record of her death under the name Meadley,Medley or other variations so assume she grew up and married. I have found one marriage of a Sarah Medley to a Leonard Hazel in Blackpool but when I sent for the certificate it was not the right Sarah as the other details were wrong. From 1911 she just seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. Please can anyone help.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Mar 2014 21:03

I can't see her 1911, can you put details on here please? Can't see her birth either!
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Mar 2014 21:04

Aha!

Births Sep 1906 (>99%)
Meadly Sarah Liverpool 8b 31

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Mar 2014 21:15

I can't see anything either. Do you have her exact birth date by any chance? This can be used to look for deaths after 1969, though with such a common first name it's very dubious!

I wonder if she might have emigrated?

Jan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Mar 2014 23:06

I'm sure someone else was asking about these names some months back - I'll have a trawl through my threads and see if I can find it ....

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Mar 2014 23:12

MarieCeleste, You are correct it was posted in december 2013 but has now been deleted

It still comes up on Google but when you click on the link you get the GR error message (Thread does not exist)

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Mar 2014 23:17

SARAH MEADLEY - Genealogy Chat - Boards - Genes Reunited
www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1335268?
19 Dec 2013 - 5 posts - ?4 authors
Quick Search. Single word search. Search. Enter Keyword Search ... I can't see a birth for a Sarah Meadley born in England at all. Researching: ... I THINK IT IS MIS-SPELT AS MEDLEY AND WAS IN JULY 1906 ... Liverpool

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 23:41

Who registered the deaths of her parents?

It would help if you posted the 1911 census info.............

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Mar 2014 23:59

Is this the record you have of 1911 (recorded as Sarah Medley and only 3 years old):-

1911 census transcription details for: Workhouse Cottages Homes, WORKHOUSE COTTAGE HOMES

National Archive Reference:
RG14PN22693 RD455 SD11 ED40 SN9999
Reg. District: West Derby
Sub District: Wavertree
Parish: Wavertree
Enum. District: 40

Address: Olive Mount Wavertree
County: Lancashire

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born

MEDLEY, Sarah Inmate F 3 1908 Lancs Lpool

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Mar 2014 08:57

Yes, I remember it well now Roy, I spent hours (as did a few others) trying to determine the correct census for the mother. I think there may have been more than one thread.

What a shame they were deleted as it could have been useful background info for katqueen .....

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Mar 2014 09:39

How are you certain that the 3-year-old in 1911 is the child born in 1906?

How do you know the names of the parents? What happened to them after 1906?

What was the mother's maiden name?

A pity that the googled info about the previous thread does not include the poster's name..............

katqueen

katqueen Report 7 Mar 2014 11:28

sorry not to have got back to anyone before but there had been no answers by the time I went to bed. To answer your question Reggie I have the details of her birth and the years from 1906 to 1911 from a search i paid for from the liverpool archives. This is how I know where she was in the 1911 census which Kathleen has posted above. Her mother Ann Meadley [nee Lloyd] died in 1912 in Highfield Infirmary, Liverpool and her father in 1946 in Walton workhouse infirmary. Her sister Mary Ann Kay [nee Meadley] died in Chester in 1990 and is the mother of the lady for whom I am trying to find the information. Her mother either did not know of the existence of a sister Sarah or for some reason chose never to mention her. The family were in and out of various workhouses during the whole of Mary Ann's life and often the parents did not seem to reside at the same address. My friend would like to find out more about Sarah if possible as she would have been her aunt and there may be living relatives. I hope this all makes sense and is useful. Thankyou to all who have responded so far.

katqueen

katqueen Report 7 Mar 2014 12:10

Have just had aflash of memory of something I saw on one of the 'Who do you think you are?' programmes where it referred to children from cottage homes being shipped to Canada and Australia. Could this possibly have happened to Sarah or would it not have been allowed as her father was still alive. Apparently the only records for Olive Mount after 1911 are for boys.Is there any way of checking if this happened?

Potty

Potty Report 7 Mar 2014 14:14

If you Google there are several sites about Home Children (as they were called). I can't see Sarah on any of them nor on the outward passenger lists.

Children were also sent to Austrialia in the same way. I think that parents quite often gave permission as they thought their children would be going to a better life.

katqueen

katqueen Report 7 Mar 2014 21:06

Have googled some of the sites including one for Olive Mount which confirmed that there are no records for girls apart from the 1911 census. Also looked at passenger lists but like you could find no mention of Sarah Medley. I think I will have to admit defeat although I don't understand how someone can just appear to vanish unless she is mistranscibed or changed her name. Thanks for your help.