Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

childen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 20 Mar 2014 17:46

High I am new to his but I need to know if I can find out how many children a Married couple had I have the marriage date the names ect one of the children's names .but I can't seem to find out how to go about this all born after 1911
any help would be great
thanks Lynn

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2014 17:57

Welcome to the boards Linda

use this site using both surnames

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

If the surnames are common it could be harder to decide who belongs to who

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 21 Mar 2014 15:07

welcome linda

If we can help put up the marriage and we will try

Please remember if the children were born beofre 1912 they wont be registered under their mothers maiden name as it wasnt started till the

Good Luck

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2014 16:46

As they were all born after 1911, simply look for them using freebmd...................

Input both surnames in the appropriate boxes, and click 'find'

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Mar 2014 17:09

I will let Linda know that she has replies to her query... :-)

Kense

Kense Report 21 Mar 2014 18:41

If by "after 1911" Linda meant after the 1911 census, then there is a small window where a child born after 2nd April 1911 and registered before 1st July 1911, will only have the one surname in the index.

If both surnames are used a freeBMD search will not pick up any results before the third quarter of 1911.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Mar 2014 09:05

.Thank you all for your Quick reply I will try the suggestions; if I have any luck will let you know
thank you Linda :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2014 09:53

If you get stuck.......post the names of the parents, and the location of their marriage

SueCar

SueCar Report 22 Mar 2014 13:40

Have found the names of four cousins this morning. I have never met them because of a family fall out years ago. It wouldn't let me search with their mother's maiden name so I just put in the surname and specified years from their parents' marriage to about forty years later. Lots of results came up so then I searched the page using CTRL + F (I have Windows) and put their mother's maiden name in the search box. And Bingo! Up came the four names. :-) :-)

I haven't really done living relatives much so far but am going to start a new tree just on my computer as I don't put living relatives on my GR tree apart from initials.

This could be a whole new avenue for me to explore. :-) :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Mar 2014 14:48

SueCar, Very strange that freebmds would not let you search using MMN but MMN's were displayed in the search results,

Did you enter the correct/same spelling of the surname?

Ctrl+ F (Find on this page) just allows you to search the page your looking at for a specified word or phrase

Roy

jax

jax Report 22 Mar 2014 15:43

Unless Sue is talking about GR records....I cannot see how you could search by mothers maiden name only on here or even put a mmn in....unless it goes in the keyword?

SueCar

SueCar Report 23 Mar 2014 10:28

Yes, I thought I must be doing something wrong.

Yesterday I clicked on the link in Jax's reply to Linda. Then I clicked on the red Search button. On the next page I put in both surnames - my uncle's surname and the maiden name of his wife. It immediately came back with an error message saying you can't do both names. Have just tried it again but it worked this time. Four cousins in the list and no others. Very strange.

Mind you, now I know how good this is I will be doing it again for other branches of my family.

Fantastic :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Mar 2014 11:03

SueCar, The error message you discribe is what you get IF you enter the wrong type of search B,M, or D's by mistake for the boxes you have entered the details to be searched

Roy

SueCar

SueCar Report 23 Mar 2014 11:15

Yes, this time I didn't click on anything else, just the name boxes, the date ranges and Find.

Thanks for your help :-)