Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anullment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 11 Jul 2014 20:11

If a marriage has been annulled, where would that be registered or shown, I am thinking of about 1890

patchem

patchem Report 11 Jul 2014 20:16

Which country, please?

Also, have you tried some google searches, as appears to be lots of information out there?

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 11 Jul 2014 20:21

In UK, yes I have googled and whilst it gave reasons for why a marriage can be annulled, it did not state, where you could find out anything.

patchem

patchem Report 11 Jul 2014 21:06

Contact the National Archives?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/divorce-further-research.htm

extract:

See the table below for details of which records are held by The National Archives and which are at local archives.

Method of separation Where records are held

Declaration of nullity, annulment or divorce a mensa et thoro by church courts The National Archives and local archives (see section 6)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jul 2014 21:07

I think GRO certificates are flagged up in some way, so that they don't generally issue a copy of an annulled marriage.
Do you know if the family used a particular church, - perhaps near their home address?
I have found information about an annulled marriage by looking at the marriage entry on parish registers.

EDIT
Just read through again and realise you might mean where would there be a general record of such marriages, ...Sorry.

Gwyn

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 16 Jul 2014 18:22

Thanks everyone, have given friend details , they were chapel people I believe