Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

12a Newbold Road Chesterfield

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Jul 2014 13:02

Hi, I am interested in this address where my cousin was born in 1951, I thought it was a private address but since have found out it was some sort of hospital, can anyone help?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Jul 2014 13:29

Hi Dawn.
12a doesn't suggest a hospital does it, though if you do a google search the workhouse was on Newbold Rd. As these often evolved into the local general hospital, it's quite possible that's what happened here.
Mind you, it looks as if a children's home was built there:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Chesterfield/
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Jul 2014 13:44

Just to add, if you live locally, you can check out the road on the electoral registers - archives are normally kept at the nearest main library.
Jan

Dawn

Dawn Report 15 Jul 2014 14:12

Thank's very much

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2014 20:29

If you have ever read any of James Herriot's books about being a vet in Yorkshire, you will know that his wife had her first baby at the house of local district nurse/midwife, sometime in the 40s

This apparently was reasonably common, especially in more rural areas ....................

the nurse would have 1 or 2 bedrooms where "her" expectant mums came to deliver the child, and then spend 7-10 days in bed recovering.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 15 Jul 2014 23:00

Found this on google

http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=10231

Chris