Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Living Relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nick

Nick Report 17 Jul 2014 16:22

Any advice on contacting people,who might be a living relative.
How to write a letter,phone call etc.

Thanks

Nick Ashby

Gee

Gee Report 17 Jul 2014 16:36

Hi Nick

It really depends on the situation?

Sirius

Sirius Report 17 Jul 2014 16:37

Don't make a phone call. Write a letter which can be read and reread giving the person time to think things through and allowing them to contact you in their own time and method ( include your address, phone, email and a stamped addressed envelope).

if you are not sure you have the right person or even if you are sure, keep it 'light', don't get over emotional when writing, say something along the line of "I am researching my family tree and looking for information on (name) who may be related to me, and would be pleased to hear from you ".

If it is a birth parent you are seeking, be aware their current family may not know, so be cautious in what you write.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 18 Jul 2014 11:07

It depends entirely on the circumstances

If the person you wish to contact is using a site such as this and is therefore looking for relatives, contacting with a very carefully-worded letter may be OK, but if you've simply got a name from a phone book or similar, you'd need to be even more careful

If illegitimacy is involved, I would advise against any direct contact. use the proper channels. Untold damage can be done if a child whose existence has been kept secret turns up out of the blue

Kense

Kense Report 18 Jul 2014 11:12

There is some sort of guide accessible from the Find Living Relatives board. If it is inadequate then perhaps someone should suggest improvements on the Suggestions board.

jax

jax Report 18 Jul 2014 14:41

I dont think it matters what sort of guidelines Genes give Ken.....there are always those who dont read or dont care and will carry on regardless.

I remember one from a while ago who was looking for his birth mother, she was easily found and an address given out to him by another member. Within a hour or so he had gone and knocked on her door as she was fairly local.....Apparently she was pleased.....but what a shock that would have been

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Jul 2014 11:41

I do wonder how many lives and marriages are wrecked by well meaning children just turning up at their 'birth' mothers home?

I know these children are pretty desperate, but they judge on todays standards where children born out of wedlock are not considered unusual.

But many of these children would have been born at a time when it was considered so bad, that these young women were made to feel like criminals, especially in places like Ireland. This is rarely mentioned in shows on TV which make it all look so easy and cosy, tears of joy all round, but never any follow up to see the real fall-out.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 19 Jul 2014 11:44

The shows in question never tell us about the cases where the child is rejected, sometimes because the mother is scared of her husband, and would not dare let him know about any previous relationship.

In fact, they never give any indication that they have anything other than success with their searches, which simply isn't possible