Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Thomas Sharp

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 28 Jul 2014 22:58

R T Sharp was my great uncle, b. Warwick 1896, d. 1972 South Wales. I have found some notes of mine from about 35 years ago which state he was working at Wimbush (the Bakers) Bristol, Oaklands Gwent and the Square Café, Blackwood. I think the latter still exists. Can anyone tell me where I can find out if he did really work at these places; Wimbush seems to have been taken over by Three Cooks which then went into administration in 2011; Oaklands could be a care home or hotel; and the Square Café exists on Google Maps. His death certificate suggests he was a chef. Also I want to know why he moved from Warwick, then Birmingham to South Wales.

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jul 2014 23:20

Are you in contact with any family that he had?

Unlikely that records will exist for his workplaces.

In fact, did he marry and have children?

Thanks.

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jul 2014 23:25

Do you mean this man - birth date different?

Births Dec 1898
Sharp Richard Thomas Warwick 6d 632

Added:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Richard Sharp
Birth Date: 24 Oct 1898
Date of Registration: Sep 1972 Age at Death: 73
Registration district: east Glamorgan Inferred County: Glamorganshire
Volume: 8b Page: 1655

June

June Report 29 Jul 2014 06:44

Hi Patchem, Yes this is the man. No, I can't find any family. He appears in Electoral Rolls up to 1930 in Birmingham, then disappears. I met him in around 1960 in Birmingham. He is buried in a pauper's grave in Barry Cemetary, and died in Sept 1972 at Sully Hospital, East Glam. Old notes of mine (as I'm sorting out three boxes of genealogy which have been in the loft since we moved three years ago) state he worked at Wimbush Bristol, Oaklands Gwent (could be a care home or hotel) and Square Café, Blackwood. Legend had it, before I started looking for him, that he'd moved to Blackwood. At date of death, he was a "retired chef" and his home address was in Llantwit Major which I have visited, but seems to be rented accommodation from other information I have. Served in RWR during WWI along with two brothers, one my grandfather and one killed at the Somme. Would appreciate any other info you may have.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jul 2014 16:57

Llantwit Major is not a very big place, someone there might still remember him and be able to fill in some gaps for you.

I needed help about a nearby village to Llantwit and wrote to the publican of a village pub.
He displayed a postcard for me, which outlined my search and contact details and an elderly inhabitant sent me a photograph of my grandparents ( then demolished) cottage.

Gwyn

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Jul 2014 17:00

The Square Cafe is still in existence - believe Oaklands is a care home

Sully Hospital, now long demolished overlooked the Bristol Channel in Sully and was one time a TB hospital - also a mental health unit

Llantwit Major is in the Vale of Glamorgan and miles from Blackwood

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 14:29

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1344011