Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

discrepencies in facts after WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 30 Jul 2014 15:05

very useful infor;when searching for names I thought a mother's death was wrong because her sons WW1 service records showed both his parents as deceased in 1916 ; but his mother actually died in 1920
rootgatherer told me that often notes were added to war records after the war .
This also means that a soldiers wife can be recorded with a different name on his records if she married again soon after the war .
I thought i'd share that gem of wisdom ,as others may be tripping up over this .

Denis

Denis Report 3 Aug 2014 08:30

What "war records" are you referring to?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Aug 2014 12:16

The particular record Brigid is referring to is this one from CWGC, in her thread about the Macdermid family:

MacDERMID, WALTER

Service No: 40841
Date of Death:13/11/1916
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers
1st Bn. formerly 9th Bn. Royal Scots
Panel Reference: Pier and Face 3 C.
Memorial:THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information:
Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm MacDermid.

His mother didn't die until 1920.

Rootgatherer told Brigid that the "Additional Information" was often not added until some time after the war.

Denis

Denis Report 3 Aug 2014 15:44

OK, I see. After the war the CWGC (IWGC as it was then) sent a Final Verification form to next of kin showing the details they held on those killed and asked for confirmation. Some didn't respond but those that did provided up to date information and this was used as the basis for the entry in the Commissions registers.