Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 24 Aug 2014 20:32

I've asked the above for their procedure in getting a copy marriage certificate but apparently they require payment in Euros or by credit/debit card with ALL your details....that means not only the 16 figure number on the front of your card, but the 3 figures on the back, and they want this on a form by post. Who in their right mind would send their personal credit card details by post, which may get lost or into the wrong hands.
Does anyone know whether they accept ordering of certificates by phone?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Aug 2014 20:46

June you can order online,,,,,,,with your chosen card details...its all secure,well as secure as your card details you used a this site.

nidirect
HSE.ie--- cost 20euros,
GRONI.

June

June Report 24 Aug 2014 22:06

Thanks. Have tried this and ordered, but note that their online form only gives you a choice of years as far back as 1920. I've sent them an email quoting order reference number and explaining that I want a certificate dated 1861.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Aug 2014 22:31

Cilvil registration didnt start in Ireland till 1864 and that was for all Non -Catholic events,,,,,,,,,,,,so the best you can hope for is a parish church entry record,before this time, if RC.

Also the division in 1922 means NI then began its own registration,,, many records were destroyed by fire.

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Aug 2014 08:34

Kay - that's not quite correct. Civil rego began 1864 for all BMDs, but from 1845-1863 non-catholic marrs were also rego'ed, and it is a m.cert June is after.

June

June Report 25 Aug 2014 08:50

Thanks all of you. I'm just hoping they understand their website doesn't give you choices before 1920, and I get the right one. It is a non catholic marriage, as far as I know (well, mine is, but the one I've requested is anyone's guess, as my ancestor is James Davidson Sharp, and I can only find a marriage for James Dawson Sharp, perhaps a corruption of Davidson when written down!). My James married (I think) an Isabella (no surname so this is why I'm having trouble) between 1853 and 63 (he enlisted in 53 and she died in Poona, India in 63). However on their son's birth certificate she doesn't give her maiden name.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Aug 2014 10:12

Hi June

Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898

Name:James Dawson Sharp

Marriage Date:11 Feb 1861

Marriage Place:St Bridget, Dub, Ire

Father:William Sharp

Spouse:Isabella Goodridge

FHL Film Number:101426

Reference ID:2:3KQJ0RH

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Aug 2014 10:24

June, it's worth bearing in mind that the application form also advises this:

"Photocopies of entries in the registers are also available at a cost of €4.00. These contain exactly the same information as a Certificate but are only of use for research purposes." It also goes on to say you can have this emailed to you.

I'm about to apply for a death certificate in that way and intend to send a €5 note with the application (can't be felt in the envelope the way coins can). The additional 80p or so is worth the peace of mind and the cost is still way less than a UK certificate.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Aug 2014 10:35

I notice on his service records that he attested in Glasgow, might he have married in Scotland?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Aug 2014 13:44

Have done this with them by post. No problems

If your order a will in the UK by using their forms that same rule applies.

Potty

Potty Report 25 Aug 2014 14:28

You can view an image of the church register (for free) for the marriage on this site:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Select Church records and enter surname as Sharpe (with an e)

Potty

Potty Report 25 Aug 2014 14:34

Looking at the image, it could be John Davison not Dawson.

Potty

Potty Report 25 Aug 2014 15:21

June, do you know when and where James was born?

June

June Report 25 Aug 2014 15:46

Yes, 24 Oct 1833 Ballynure, Antrim, Ireland. Son of William Sharp and Agnes Davidson who married on 7 May 1832 in Ballynure Presbytarian Church. William's father was Robert Sharp, mother Mary ? Agnes' father was James Davidson, mother Janet ? There was a daughter of William, b. July 1837, Mary Jane Sharp in Ballynure.
James was enlisted in 1853 into the 96th regiment, and went out to Cape Province where his son, William, was born in 1863 - mother named as Isabella. They then went to Poona in India, where Isabella died in 1866 of diphtheria, her daughter dying in 1966. James remarried in 1868 in Poona.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Aug 2014 16:45

Hi June

Is the marriage I posted correct?

I see the death for Isabella

India, Select Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948

Name:Isabella Sharpe

Marital Status:Married

Birth Date:1839

Death Date:9 Jul 1866

Burial Date:10 Jul 1866

Burial Place:Poona, Bombay, India

FHL Film Number:523925

June

June Report 25 Aug 2014 17:50

Hi Gins, I think it is, as the details give him in the 96th Regt of Foot, which mine was. I do have the details of Isabella's death, and her daughter in Poona, India.