Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Sep 2014 17:20

Hi all.
I wonder if someone can help me please?
I feel I have done this before, but just can't remember.
I have access to a relative's tree on Ancestry, and they have just added a photo to their ancestor, I would like to attach it to mine too, but can't recall if you can, never mind how to do so.
Any advice much appreciated, thanks.
Jan

Jean

Jean Report 5 Sep 2014 17:42

Hi Jan ,

Yes you can attach , I have done it, although I can't remember how ,I think there might be a link on Ancestry.
I have a feeling my son helped me with mine .

Good luck

jax

jax Report 5 Sep 2014 20:41

You can attach easily enough or steal it......so it goes to your computer and can add it where ever....right click.. ..save image as...

Or just click on the pic and in the top right corner it says 'save to my tree'

then it comes up 'type the name of a person in your tree'

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Sep 2014 09:05

One way
Open your tree
Top of page next to name of tree "tree pages"
"All hints" or "tree overview"

All people with hints
13317All hints
13241Record hints
15Photo hints<<<<<<<<<<
1Story hints
60Member tree hints
This is a free option.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Sep 2014 10:19

Thanks very much for the replies jax, Thelma and Jean.

Jax, I did try clicking on the image, and it doesn't say 'save to my tree'.

However - the problem is solved! I never would have thought this would matter, but noticed that the photo had been taken from another tree (also a contact of mine). I went to that tree, and as you say, there is the option to save looking at me.

Of course I could have saved it, thanks for suggesting that both, but this is so much easier isn't it!

So it seems you can only pinch from the original, or at least that is the case here.

Thanks again everyone.

Jan x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Sep 2014 21:43

If you're using a laptop/pc with Windows you can always use the snip tool to snatch the image.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Sep 2014 23:11

MarieCeleste, thank you for replying, but I only speak English....! Seriously, I am a complete computer numpty so this is lost on me, but \I am sure it's a good idea!
Jan :-D

jax

jax Report 7 Sep 2014 00:35

I can tell you how to steal pics with a tablet or mobile if you like :-D

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 7 Sep 2014 14:34

It really is easy...when you know how,.
Click on the image, and do it again until you get to the 'home pae' of that person, the one with all the details on it, and you should see a heading of 'media gallery'
There should be a small image of the picture you want, click on that, and when it loads you should see on the right where you can 'view the original.
When you click on that it should show you a preview of the image you want. then with your cursor on the image, right click. That gives you several options including copy image and save image as.. Save it to your desktop as a jpeg.
Of course it is polite to ask the tree owner if you can copy it.

If you still cannot copy it personal message me for more help.

jax

jax Report 7 Sep 2014 14:48

I had already given Jan instructions on..... right click ...save as...... CuriousFish