Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted child - how link to 'blood' parents?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RayArdia

RayArdia Report 6 Sep 2014 22:46

I was adopted at 3 months. As I know who my 'blood' parents were is there a way to show such a link on my adoptive family's tree?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 04:40

I can't help you with your question, but I have a question of my own for you

are your blood parents still alive?

If so, you should get their permission to add them to your tree on this site, which is completely open, and not safe.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Sep 2014 10:27

The way I have used is to add your birth mother as a partner to your adoptive father. Explain in the notes.You can then build your blood family.

RayArdia

RayArdia Report 7 Sep 2014 21:31

Thank you Silvain.
As I'm now 76 the answer to "are your blood parents alive?" has to be a very firm "No".
Best wishes,
Ray

RayArdia

RayArdia Report 7 Sep 2014 21:37

Thank you Thelma.
OK, I understand that, but it's 'cheating' isn't it? There should really be a better way - would any administrator like to comment?
Incidentally I have researched a tree in my given name at birth, but it means having two GR subscriptions on the go and as the years creep on I can afford it less and less!
Regards,
Ray

jax

jax Report 7 Sep 2014 23:35

This site does not have administrators.....they have staff who very rarely post on the boards and very unlikely on a Sunday evening.

You do not have to pay to start another tree but that account would not be able to post on the boards or initiate messages

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 23:46

Ray

you can start a second tree as a Free member ................... after all GR started as a free site back in 2003/2004.

You need to set yourself up with a second email account ................ use a free site such as gmail, yahoo, or even hotmail, to do that.

Then join GR as a Free member using that new email account, maybe think of a variant on your Board name.

You can build as large a tree as you want............... but you will not be able to initiate contact with another member through the internal system, nor will you be able to post on the Boards as a free member.

Any subscribing member can contact a free member, and you can then reply to them.

You can use this current account to contact people, though!