Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not everyone here is a novice! ;-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Sep 2014 10:22

I have been amused by some of the dismissive comments in response to my postings recently. I love to help people in their searches and the beauty of genealogy is that sometimes a little lateral thinking can be just as effective as following tried and tested routes.

I have been a contributor to the GR forums for 13 years now, although less so recently. I feel my suggestions do have value and hope that I can help people break through those pesky brick walls. I have been subcontracted by a genealogist who has made on-screen appearances on many TV programmes, and she seems to appreciate my work. Everybody on these forums, however experienced or not, can make a great contribution by thinking outside the box, so I urge everybody to continue to share and respect each other's ideas because our common interest is so fascinating and worthwhile.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Sep 2014 11:00

No it's quite true not everyone here is a novice, that's what makes it a good site, that those with a lot of experience, little, or none at all can often come up with a 'lead', it may come from someone who has no experience of genealogy at all but knows a lot about a particular place or occupation or pubs even lol.

Or as yesterday it may be finding that someone has corrected a transcription that you would never have spotted yourself . I was looking through 'Fishlocks' just in case I had missed anything that could connect one specific person to my gt gts of the same name, without the correction i would probably have missed "Tschlech" as being Fishlock lol. ( didn't help mindyou just added yet another family to the Fishy mix with the same first names as the other family i haven't been able to connect :-S).

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Sep 2014 11:16

When you say subcontracted I hope this doesn't mean others are doing look ups that you are getting paid for . :-)

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Sep 2014 11:38

Ha ha Shirley! No, none of it on-line. That would just be too easy, wouldn't it?

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2014 12:10

Only thread from you I remember seeing recently was the one about Jack the Ripper....have there been others?

which has now gone :-S

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Sep 2014 12:47

Just a few over the past few months. Rather than making an issue of it I just delete my threads.... to me this is all about enjoying a hobby.

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2014 13:15

So if people do not agree you delete......fair enough best to ignore then

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Sep 2014 14:33

I'm all for intelligent discussion and I don't delete when people disagree with me but when it starts getting personal it's time to pull the plug!!! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Sep 2014 15:53

Not sure what point you are making

I wouldn't class my self as an expert by any means but an experienced amateur who can look outside the box. this is from 12 plus years of starting as a complete novice and learning as I go along . Still learning too

I would never put anyone down although I have been RRd and told ,when querying why, that I did sometimes come across as abrupt so could put newbies off

Whatever !! intention or inflection of tone doesnt show on the written word so to some this may come across as that way whereas to others its no big deal .

It doesnt stop me trying to help using MY subs to other sites

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2014 22:41

Paul

how have you managed to post for 13 years on GR forums???

GR did not start until late 2002, only had one single "board", for general conversation, for posting on until late 2003 or early 2004 ..........................

none of those dates add up to 13 years?

Please don't make the years pass any faster than they are already doing :-)

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Sep 2014 23:03

Of course, you're right Sylvia. I remember when it launched as a spinoff of FriendsReunited. I'd forgotten that I had been researching for a couple of years before it arrived. Mind you, I still think I'm 27, so what do I know? :-0

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Sep 2014 23:16

remind me not to waste my time reading your posts let alone replying to them if your idea of how to contribute to a community forum is to delete the content *I* have contributed

plain bad manners and not interested in anything further you have to say

I think way way outside the box thank you very much, so I will just continue on my way

Petef

Petef Report 16 Sep 2014 21:03

I have been a researcher for some 30+ years now and still enjoy helping others.
Perhaps it might interest you, Paul, to do what I now do. . I have accumulated an enormous wealth of information re searching in countries other than the UK. ( it does help that I speak languages other than English). I offer help, by PM, just to those who are requesting it. By assisting genuine researchers who are interested in that particular subject/country , I do not receive any unpleasant/dismissive remarks.

I am not aware of any rule on Genes Reunited that says.... all members must read every post on every Thread.... If anyone is not interested in what Paul or any other person has to say, then..........don't read it! Its as simple as that!!
Thank you,
Peter

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Sep 2014 21:48

on the other hand Petef, you allow other members to waste their time offering help to people here in the ordinary way, the way the community boards are meant to be used, if they do not know about what you are doing by PM.

many people who request help here are new to the site or just don't think, and don't realize that it is unfair to members who actually use the boards to help if they do not mention that they are getting help privately, so if you don't do that, no one knows

plus of course the information you provide is not contributed to the general knowledge base here, given that this site and others like it do serve as general online repositories of information that is not otherwise available about the families researched here

your approach and your comments themselves seem dismissive of other members, to me

I don't know who might have said they weren't interested in reading what Paul has to say so I don't know whom your last remark might be directed to

(just fyi, I *did* contribute to one of the threads of Paul's in question that he deleted, so that was the subject of my own comment, in case you are in need of explanation)