Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger Arrival Lists?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Sep 2014 22:59

How can I find lists of people arriving in the UK from Italy, early 1900s onward?

I have found lists of those leaving, but what about people coming here to live?

Grateful for any tips.

Sam
:-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Sep 2014 23:11

There are no online passenger lists from Europe to UK.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Sep 2014 23:21

The only time you *might* find an arrival from elsewhere (and it is rare) is if the voyage commenced outside of Europe and picked up passengers en route to the UK.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Sep 2014 08:19

Thank you for your help; can anyone think of a way to find people listed by nationality living in specific areas?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 16 Sep 2014 08:42

There isn't any such list

Place of birth will be on the census record for each person who gave his or her details to the enumerator

As the last census available is 1911, it may not be of any help to you

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Sep 2014 09:08

Thank you; does anyone have any 'outside-the-box' ideas about tracing someone by their nationality only, in a specific area and time frame... without a name?

I appreciate that the next census will probably give me what I'm looking for...but until this time...?

Also, is there a search tip/trick for finding everyone of a certain nationality on a census in a particular area?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Sep 2014 10:17

EDITED POST: simpler instructions!

On Ancestry -

Search > Census & Electoral Rolls
Enter birth country or town, and "lived in" location.
On next screen, choose collection from drop-down list, and click "update".
Choose your census year.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Sep 2014 12:03

Thank you; your advice is very much appreciated :-D

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Sep 2014 21:59

Before 1911, it's unusual for enumerators to record anything other than the country. Even for folks from elsewhere in the UK, one usually just sees Ireland or Scotland.

Although it's probably not relevant for you, Italy wasn't unified in 1841-1861.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2014 09:34

Thank you; 'Italy' is all I have, so it doesn't really matter that no more specific information will have been recorded.

...and yes, I appreciate that about Italy's unification...thankfully I am after someone from the unified Italy :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Sep 2014 09:58

How about naturalisation records?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/naturalised-britons.htm

There does appear to be a gap in available on-line records 1912-1949. Most of the intervening years seem to be available at Kew if you are able to visit in person

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2014 11:07

Thank you DetEcTive!

I was hoping someone would come up with something like this...I hadn't thought of naturalisation records...

You've been a great help.

:-D