Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

newspaper look up if possible please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 26 Oct 2015 21:32

hi all

could someone take a look at the newspapers on here [genes] please

nottingham evening post type article

17 april 1920
and
15 may 1920

name arthur selby age 12 years

thank you very much

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Oct 2015 22:10

INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOB NOTTM. BOY. "You will ba much happier an indtutrial school,” was the remark mads Mr. W. H. Carey to Arthur Selby, 12. Goose-gate, who appeared at the Nottingham Juvenile Court to-day on charge of breaking into the warehouse of Messrs
15 May 1920 - Nottingham Evening Post - Nottingham, Nottingham,,

within the write-up it states,the boy had no mother and his father showed no care towards him,,,,,,,,Arthur was sent to an Industrial School.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 26 Oct 2015 22:28

thank you very much kay :-D <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Oct 2015 22:38

the c&P is the caption and a bit gibberish but the full artical says guilty and it was thought an industiral school would be best for him.he alledgely broke into a warehouse and attempted to steal cloth.......poor little lad.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 26 Oct 2015 22:47

I've snipped the two articles and pmed them to littlelegs.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Oct 2015 13:07

Hi Littlelegs, I've just put the following on Lavender's Find My Past thread and realised it might be useful for you as well.

Have you looked to see if your county library service gives you access to newspapers etc? If I go to the Suffolk Libraries site I can use my library card number and a personal pin to get into quite a lot of newspaper archives, including British 19th century newspapers, and a lot of local papers, plus other stuff useful to a family historian. There's no charge for this - all I need is to have a library card.

(Just realised I haven't used this service for ages so I might be looking this afternoon to see if I can still get into it.)

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 27 Oct 2015 14:42

thank you soooooo much to everyone

best wishes

lorraine <3 <3 <3

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 27 Oct 2015 15:04

hi
i wonder if anyone knows weather i could find out which school he went to and if there would be any records

thank you

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 31 Oct 2015 10:44

anyone know were i might look

thank you

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 31 Oct 2015 18:42

There might be some school records in Nottingham Archives 'I've not looked for any before so will check for you next time I'm there, would have to work out which schools were near to where he lived.

Wendy

Edit just noted that Kay says he was sent to an Industrial School. So will check that out for you

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 31 Oct 2015 23:24

thank you sooooooo much wendy

take care
lorraine

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 6 Nov 2015 17:46

Hi Lorraine,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. The archives does not have any records for Industrial Schools for 1920 and the lady there says it was most likey he was sent somewhere else. There are not many school records for Nottingham either covering that or earlier years most of what they have are for later years and not all the
come under the 100 year rule.

Bev did give me a web site for you to look at on for Industrial Schools it's

Welcome to missing-Ancestors.com

I have had a quick look but its mostly a list of the schools.

Sorry not much help.

Wendy