Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register Help Required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2015 08:41

I have found my mum's details on the Register and unlocked the record.

When I first looked at the preview, the record showed two other people in the household, one of whom was locked.

When I opened the record, only my mother's name showed.

I'm assuming that when I unlocked the household only myself can access the record.

If that is the case, could someone please check on the following details; Frances Rooke (Mortimer) dob 1917. The heading should show Con(?)or Rooker

As I have already unlocked the household, I cannot return to the preview field.

I'm assuming that my mother lived with her mother (Mary Connor) and the other person may have been her younger brother, now deceased.

My mother's record is viewable as she died in 1972

I just need to know what the preview says.

Thanks

Allan

Gee

Gee Report 13 Nov 2015 08:49

Hi Allan

This is what I see on preview

Con?Or (Rooker) Household
Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England

Frances Mortimer (Rooke) 1917
2 more people on this record

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2015 09:06

Thanks Gins, that is what I thought I saw on the preview, but only my mother's name appears on the actual unlocked entry :-(

Many thanks for looking for me :-)

Allan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2015 21:10

Allan

unless the Register has documented proof of the death of the other person, then the record will remain locked.

I think that the fact that you have unlocked your mother's record means that it will eventually be able to be seen by anyone else looking at that record.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2015 21:12

This is what I see on the preview

1939 Register Transcription (Preview)

Con?Or (Rooker) Household Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) Birth year
Frances Mortimer (Rooke) 1917

2 more people on this record
1 more person who is officially closed

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2015 21:17

Thanks, Sylvia. The problem I have is that two names should be showing, whether or not the second one is my grandmother.

If the third person was my uncle his name being closed is understandable as he was born in 1920. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2015 21:21

Have you tried putting in your grandmother's name?

someone said you could see other members of the household by using the advanced search, using the name fo someone you know to be in the household

I;ve just tried it, and got exactly the same result as I did above!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2015 21:21

How does she appear on the image? Aside from the redacted person, there ought to be someone else at the address.
No one is perfect - perhaps the transcrbers made an error

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2015 21:24

You might want to try using the Advanced Search using your mother's name or her mother's.

I am only using the free search :-)

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2015 21:55

DET, the image only shows my mother, with one other exception virtually the whole page is filled with closed names

Sylvia, I have tried that with no result. I've also searched the property address but every time I try to preview the house I receive ' an error has occurred' :-(

It's only academic though as it was my mother that I was interested in. Having located her at the 1939 address also answers a long time puzzle of why she married in a particular church. The street is (it still exists) is only a couple of streets away from the church.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2015 23:24

So there isn't even another open name immediately above or below your mother's name? Weird!

It might be worth contacting FMP and asking them to correct or check the transcription against the original, un-redacted image.

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2015 23:52

DET, no there isn't :-(

My mother's name is immediately at the top of the page. There are then 3 or 4 closed names before the next open name. The rest of the names on the page are all closed.

I've even been to the previous related image to see if there was anyone at the same address immediately at the bottom of the page; no success.

I'll contact FMP

Thanks

Allan

Allan

Allan Report 22 Nov 2015 08:52

Contacted FMP and received an apology; yes preview shows other people in the household, but the transcription and image show the others as closed.

FMP refunded me the 60 credits which, although nice, is as much use to me as a chocolate teapot :-(

I do have a worldwide subscription to FMP which means I can view all other records without needing credits :-|