Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth record query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 23 Jan 2016 16:26

I am a bit puzzled to find a birth entry listed with 2 maiden names for the mother. I will give an example of what I mean - I've changed the names and details, birth was actually registered in 1975 and there is a sibling with listed similarly the year before:-

Black Andrew Black or White London 13 1972
White Andrew White or Black London 13 1972

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Jan 2016 16:58

Probably the mother was known by both surnames?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jan 2016 17:00

Maybe the mother wasn't married to the father, but used his surname, so the birth was registered under both her own surname and the father's ??

(Snap, MC!)

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 23 Jan 2016 17:36

Thanks.

But surely even if the mother wasn't married to the father it would still have to be her own maiden name listed in the column 'mothers maiden name' ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jan 2016 20:09

Perhaps the mother was born and registered under her father's surname (which would be her maiden name) but then the father died while she was still young and she was brought up using her step-father's surname and was known by that so wasn't sure which surname she should give - in which case both would have been recorded.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Jan 2016 22:09

The "mother's maiden name" could be any/all names she was known by. Only way to determine is to get certificate.

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 23 Jan 2016 23:46

Thanks. I always thought that the 'mother's maiden name' HAD to be the name that the mother of the child was born/registered at birth with.

I know that my own BM had several partners and marriages but her children's names were always registered with various surnames but her actual 'mother's maiden/surname ' was always the same.

I'm not sure how the cert would prove/disprove this either as surely the info would be the same as recorded in the register? :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2016 10:04

the cert would throw a light though on why both names are listed it could say White previously known as Black.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 24 Jan 2016 14:05

is there a comment if you found this on freebmd - shown by a little envelope against a name. On a choice of names transcribers are usually asked to put in a comment as appropriate and the index entry is keyed twice

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 24 Jan 2016 15:51

Thanks lancashireAnn - I've just done this and it says "#Comment Mothers name Black or White."