Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 1 Mar 2016 16:58

I need to be able to look at several ERs, I only have membership of Genes, so was thinking of joining Ancestry or FMP. Which site is best for ERs and baptisms? Which is the site the clever people who have helped me use?

Thanks Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Mar 2016 17:21

It depends on which Electoral Registers you want to see. Findmypast only has more recent ones (2002 - 2014).

I'm not sure which ones Ancestry has (they may have more historical ones) but I don't use Ancestry so I can't say.

Findmypast has some baptisms but you would be best to go for a 14 day free trial (if they still do them) to see which would be best for you.

Kath. x (not a clever person. lol)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Mar 2016 17:26

You can take out free 14 day trials for both. Just remember to phone Ancestry or untick the subscribe button on FMP before the trial is up.

Can you get to your local library? Many have access to Ancestry and some also to FMP.

malyon

malyon Report 1 Mar 2016 21:33

look on familyseach it's free

http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/

Christine

Christine Report 1 Mar 2016 22:14

Many thanks for the tips all of you.

Regards. Chris

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Mar 2016 12:32

As has been said it depends what area, you can find some Lancashire baptisms etc free on
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Ancestry has London baptisms and marriages, and London electoral rolls up to 1965,

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Mar 2016 21:28

I'm new to Genes Reunited, and I want to search the Australian Electoral Rolls but I don't seem to be able to see them. I can see the UK Electoral Rolls. What am I missing? How do I search the Australian Electoral Rolls?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Mar 2016 21:43

Hello 'unknown' Genes does not have the Australian electoral rolls.

If you start a thread of your own, and give details someone will look on other subscription sites for you,

edit: for instance Ancestry

"About Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
This database contains selected Australian electoral rolls, with the exception of South Australia, that run from 1903-1980. Electoral rolls were compiled by each state during election years to determine the number and names of individuals eligible to vote. Information listed in electoral rolls usually includes:
Number
Name of voter
Occupation"

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Mar 2016 02:06

Thanks Rambling Rose. Seems to be a significant deficiency for Australian genealogy researchers...

By the way, how do I give myself a name on this forum (I don't mean to be 'unknown')?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Mar 2016 08:56

Go into ' Account' from the link at the very top of the page. There is a line where you add a Message Board Name. Remember to Save.