Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheshire- Visitations of Heralds-various years

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 7 Apr 2016 16:37

I have found on line a couple of pedigrees for various Cheshire families. Apparently in order to use a coat of arms and insignia it had to be registered, and no doubt taxed.

On the ones I have looked at --one say dated 1580-- the current members are listed in a tree, but also their ancestors, as they had to account for them.
Unfortunately there are no dates shown for BMD, I have found a couple of wills /probate, which indicate the death date of that person, but not the others.

I presume parish registers are thin on the ground at this period? can anyone suggest other alternatives--to check dates?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Apr 2016 18:16

One thing you can hope is that because the families were 'gentry', they had a private chapel with records kept.

Have you googled the names, that sometimes brings bits up.

Also, try searching on thePeerage.com.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Apr 2016 06:51

http://archives.cheshire.gov.uk/home.aspx

(try asking above, did I reply on another 'Thread' about these?)

Chris :)

edits

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1359013

margaret

margaret Report 8 Apr 2016 07:51

I have asked the Chester record office, and they told me to try the Soc of Heralds, but not had a reply from them yet.

this is the reference page I am trying to 'prove' Oliver Massey - and descendants.A minor branch of the Massy of Tatton line. All different spellings of course.

https://archive.org/stream/visitationofches00glov#page/170/mode/2up

I think this should be page 171.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2016 18:24

you already have a posting on this - I put a fair amount of info on it - you should continue to use that posting Margaret and delete this one

margaret

margaret Report 8 Apr 2016 19:15

Yes I hadn't realised i had the two entries. Thomas Massey in the very detailed report given is not the right branch as far as I can see? So I discounted the connection.

I suppose he might be a cousin of sorts . there are Coddington and Paddington families that are quite distinct I believe, though may be related far back.

As are the Massey family in Rixton ,Lancashire . the last one of whom , Francis Massey is buried at Warringtn in the 18 the cent.

There is also a branch at Sale who are related to the Timperly group. So it gets very confusing without specific dates.

Thank you anyway ,I shall look at my first query again.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Apr 2016 19:32

Whether they are related or not, the advice/suggestions given on your original thread is just as relevant.
The further back in history you get, the less likely it is that relevant parish records have survived. Some that have may be illegible due to mold, insect damage etc etc. The same would apply to Manorial Rolls.

There was a TV prog a while ago where a family were trying to prove they were related to a 'noble' family. They'd traced so far back, but were stumped when they were shown the relevant page (from preceding and subsequent pages) of the archived Estate records. They were a complete blur from where the damp had got at them.