Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records that seem to be wrong.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 12 Oct 2016 19:16

Hi Everyone, I have been looking at Samuel Benny christened 29/10/1742 in Menheniot, Cornwall. On Cornwall OPC, I find that his parents are Richard and Elizabeth, who do not seem to exist. The interesting things with this problem is:

1 the previous entry is Richard and Elizabeth Reed.
2 There is a marriage of Henry Benny and Elizabeth Yeo in St. Cleer 26/9/1726. They have 7 children in St. Cleer. The 6th child is Samuel 28/2/1737, who is buried 14/6/1738. John was 31/7/1739, also in St. Cleer. There is then Jane 21/5/1745 and Mary 17/1/1748 in Menheniot, which is about 4 miles from St. Cleer. The gap between John and Jane is almost 6 years, when the fist 7 children were born in 12 years. Do you think that I can assume that Samuel 29/10/1742 Menheniot is also the child of Henry and Elizabeth???
Many thanks for any help.
R. Keith Brewer.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Oct 2016 20:17

Hi Robert

I have seen mistakes where the vicar has entered the wrong name or names .......... got himself confused in other words.

I found one of my own last week where a boy had been buried under the wrong forename .... not sure whose mistake that was, but there was a correction at the bottom of the page giving his correct name, and saying it was attested to by the father and another relation, and dated about 6 months after the burial.

However, you may not get that confirmation of an error.

I did look on FreeReg, but could find only the baptism of Samuel in 1737.

Maybe you could "assume" the parents are Henry and Elizabeth, with an asterisk ..... and just keep on looking.

Possibly ............

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Oct 2016 20:20

???????????????????

Is this the same record that you found??

from FindMyPast

First name(s) SAMUEL
Last name BINNY
Gender Male
Birth year 1742
Baptism year 1742
Baptism date 29 Oct 1742
Parish Menheniot
Father's first name(s) Richard
Father's last name BINNY
Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
Mother's last name -
Relationship Son
Place MENHENIOT
County Cornwall
Country England
Record set Cornwall Baptisms
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from United Kingdom

Cornwall Family History Society

Transcriptions © Cornwall Family History Society

Robert

Robert Report 12 Oct 2016 20:21

Hi Sylvia, many thanks for your reply, and thank you very much for your suggestion.
All the best. R. Keith Brewer.

Robert

Robert Report 12 Oct 2016 20:24

Hi Sylvia, I tend to use Cornwall OPC, as it is specific to Cornwall, but it gives the same information that you have found and sent me.
Keith.

malyon

malyon Report 13 Oct 2016 12:47

there is this marriage to Elizabeth yeo

Elizabeth Yeo
mentioned in the record of John Jenking and Elizabeth Yeo
Name
John Jenking
Spouse's Name
Elizabeth Yeo
Event Date
Event Place
Morwenstow, Cornwall, England

malyon

malyon Report 13 Oct 2016 12:51

Samuel Benny
England Births and Christenings
Name
Samuel Benny
Christening Date
28 Feb 1737
Christening Place
SAINT CLEER,CORNWALL,ENGLAND
Death Date
14 Jun 1738
Father's Name
Henry Benny
Mother's Name
Eliz

Potty

Potty Report 13 Oct 2016 13:53

You could try contacting the transcriber on Cornwall OPC and asking her to check the original.

Kense

Kense Report 13 Oct 2016 20:57

The images for St Cleer are in this collection:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6P18-MM?wc=3CBH-HZZ%3A138123201%2C141049201%2C1582886407%3Fcc%3D1769414&cc=1769414
notably around image 27 for the baptisms and 47 for the Benny-Yeo marriage.
Unfortunately the images available on-line for Menheniot don't cover that period.