Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If i cancel ancestry subscription

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ken

Ken Report 8 Nov 2016 11:23

Hi, I have my family tree on Ancestry UK,it is expensive when you have explored most what they have available, some of there transcriptions are terrible and I have to go and pay somewhere else as well.
MY QUESTION if I cancel membership do I loose all access to the tree I have created on it, i have seen a download box but where do I download it too.
Thanks Ken.

Kense

Kense Report 8 Nov 2016 13:30

I believe you can still see your tree but you will not be able to see the images of records such as censuses, so you need to save all those to your PC before cancelling your subscription.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2016 17:24

You can download a copy of it as a gedcom to your main computer. I believe it comes as an email attachment. You just save it as you would any attachment eg photo or letter.

It won't make a great deal of sense unless you have an offline tree programme installed, or can upload it to another site. If you do so onto Genes, any existing tree will be over written.

Kense

Kense Report 8 Nov 2016 19:51

From Ancestry the Gedcom goes into your download folder without email involvement. However, records are not included in the Gedcom so you need to save those to your PC.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2016 22:14

Thank you for clarifying how the gedcom arrives. Its always good to know

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 9 Nov 2016 06:52

Hi Ken,

I often cancel membership on Ancestry- as Kense says, you will still have access to your tree, but will not be able to see the attached images of Ancestry records.

I have downloaded many of the images of census etc, to my computer and then reattached them to the relevant people in my Ancestry tree- as any images that you have uploaded from your own computer to your Ancestry tree are still viewable after you cancel your subscription.