Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificate with no mothers name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2016 20:35

Hello

Can anyone advise please. If a 14yr old girl had a baby in 1975 and child was adopted would there be a chance that the mothers name would not be stated on the birth cert? Has anyone any knowledge of certs with just mothers surname but no first name or age?

Thanks
Cassie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Nov 2016 22:07

Well her age wouldn't be on the birth certificate but her name should be.

Has the actual birth cert been looked at

CasCas

CasCas Report 24 Nov 2016 22:21

Bit complicated but many years ago I posted on another site to help a friend trace an adopted son. Now out of the blue Ive recieved an email from someone claiming to be the adoptee.
Hes given me the dob and pob (which I didnt specify) so for security I asked for his birth morhers name as he claims to have a copy of the cert. He says there is no first name only surname (which as she was unmarried would not be difficult).

I havent seen the cert myself but have not heard of them not having full names on before. I think I will order one for myself.
I have asked him to send me a scan so will wait and see.

I dont want to contact the birth family unless Im 100% sure this is genuine.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2016 22:25

Are you just looking at the GRO birth index?

That would show
Childs surname - childs forenames - mothers maiden name...the nvolume and page numbers

EG - details altered to preserve their privacy

Births Mar 1960 (>99%)
SMITH Annie SMITH Birmingham. 1a 1066

To get the full details written on the BC, including the mother's first names, you'd need to order a copy of the cerificate.

EDIT - you've since added the reason behind the query. It does seem strange. Might it be the certificate which came with his adoption file? Would that be the difference between a 'short' certificate and a 'long' one?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2016 22:32

https://www.vitalcertificates.co.uk/what-is-a-long-birth-certificate.html

There are two types of birth certificates issued in the UK:

Short birth certificates, which contain only the child’s details.
Long birth certificates (also known as ‘Full’ or ‘A4’ certificates), which include both the child’s and the parents’ details.

The Long certificate also shows the exact place of birth, the occupation of the father (and more recently the occupation of the mother), and the address of the person registering the birth.

....When a birth is first registered, parents are issued with a free copy of the Short certificate, whereas Long Certificates are only issued upon request.

I'd guess he has his original 'short' birth certificate.
The registration district, and vol + page if listed, should match up with the full gro index reference.

Although they were issued immeditately after WW2, the details on my mother and grandmother's Short Certs enabled me to order their full versions. I didn't even know about Freebmd etc etc!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Nov 2016 10:08

My husband only had the small copy of his birth cert which didnt show his parents names

Nothing untoward it was just the small copy was free when his birth was reg along with the full cert which was paid for .

Somewhere along the line the full cert was lost .

I got a copy of his cert in the 1990,s when the gro records were online

This was a good move because later on with forms etc to filled in a copy cert was needed with his full details

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Nov 2016 12:37

This obviously doesn't apply in this case, but what name is on the certificate for abandoned babies?

I remember a TV programme where there was a care home with a little door in the wall where mothers could leave their new-born illegitimate children. The staff took them in from the other side and cared for them, but they were totally anonymous.