Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record Transcription - DOR meaning

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 4 Dec 2016 12:59

On the older registers, entries are shown using Volume and Page, with a Line Number showing the line on the index page where the entry can be found. However, on more modern registrations, they are shown as District Number, Entry Number and DOR.

I am assuming this changed when computers were used to record registrations, rather than paper ledgers.

However, can someone clarify this for me, including the meaning of the 'DOR' acronym?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Dec 2016 14:45

I've not seen that.
Are you able to give an example please?

Could it be Date of Registration perhaps?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Dec 2016 16:02

That appears on some of the records on FMP, I think. Unfortunately as my sub has recently expired, I can't check.

There seemed to be a correlation between the written Month & full year and the number following DOR
E.g. Nov 2005 would also be recorded as DOR 1105
11 = Nov
05= 2005 abbreviated to 05.

Stephen

Stephen Report 4 Dec 2016 17:39

Thanks for the replies. Date of Registration seems the obvious answer, though it would only be month and year.
That ties in with my Dad's record - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/record?recordid=bmd%2fd%2f1997%2f12%2f81781015
He died on 9 December 1997 and I registered the death in December 1997. The DOR shows up as 1297 (month 12 and year 97)
My mother died in January 2002. Her DOR is 0102.
Thanks for the help friends.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Dec 2016 04:25

.............. and Genes Reunited takes its records from FMP