Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

free Canada immigration records Ancestry 17-20 Feb

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Feb 2017 17:03

http://www.ancestry.ca/cs/familyday

One of my various Ancestry lapsed accounts got the notice today. :-)

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 18 Feb 2017 15:20

Thanks Joonie - I could search but cannot access records without taking out "worldwide" :-(

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Feb 2017 20:44

You do have to do it at the ancestry.ca site - did you go to that version?

(And it's only for Canadian records.)

The link I gave is annoying, I discovered, because you have to enter a full name to search for. And the results don't take you to a general search page, as they usually do, so you can search properly.

So ... I just went to https://www.ancestry.ca/

and signed in under my free account there -- I had to do that to test it, because I do have Worldwide at ancestry.co.uk and it applies at all the ancestry sites.

If you don't have any ancestry account, go to ancestry.ca and get a free account there.

If you do have a UK account, go to ancestry.ca and sign in with your UK account, I am almost certain it will work for signing this.

then click Search at the top and selected Immigration and Travel.

That takes you to the search page.
Make sure that 'Collection Focus' at the bottom has Canada selected.

Then just search. And you will be able to view Canadian passenger records and images as if you had a paid account.

That worked for me under my free account, so hopefully it will work if you sign in under your UK account. Give it a try!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Feb 2017 20:46

Or you could just post up the details if there's something in particular you're looking for, and I'd be happy to oblige. :-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Feb 2017 13:41

Just to let you know that the reason for the free access to Ancestry Canada is because Monday is a holiday here, Family Day.

Actually though Family Day is only celebrated in Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
In Manitoba it's Louis Riel Day.
In Prince Edward Island it's Islander Day
In Nova Scotia it's Heritage Day.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 Feb 2017 17:29

apparently (according to the Lost Cousins newsletter) ancestry.co.uk is also having a free weekend

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/group/uk_irish_records

This is what the newsletter says:

==========================================================

Free weekend at Ancestry.co.uk ENDS MONDAY

All UK & Ireland records are free at Ancestry's UK site between Saturday 18th February and Monday 20th February. ...

For a full list, including major resources such as censuses, parish registers, army records, and passenger lists follow this link. (the one I gave above)

To view the records included in the offer you will need to register (or log-in if you have registered previously) but you WON'T need to provide credit card or bank details to benefit from this offer. If you are asked for your credit card information then you're signing up for a free trial, which is completely different from this free weekend.

Note: as far as I know these records are only free at the Ancestry.co.uk site and not at other Ancestry sites.For a full list, including major resources such as censuses, parish registers, army records, and passenger lists follow this link.

==========================================================

So it's the same as I explained for the Canadian offer: use a lapsed account to log in, or register for a free account.

I'm going to post this as a separate thread so it catches the eye of anyone not interested in Canadian records :-)