Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone else found this too?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jebb

Jebb Report 3 May 2017 14:29

I wish there was a way of knowing if members are subscribed or just registered. Absolutely fed up with sending messages that clearly don't get opened/read therefore a complete waste of time!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 May 2017 15:12

There's no way I.,m afraid.
If an account hasnt been renewed but the tree has been left then it will still show under the search members trees facility

This is a constant problem I,m afraid .BUT it's always a possibility that someone doesn't check their mail for some time and may reply later on

Jebb

Jebb Report 3 May 2017 16:49

Good job that the fee for this site is less than £10 p.a.otherwise I'd leave!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 May 2017 20:20

Jebb ...........

Free members can reply to a message sent to them through GR, they just cannot initiate a message themselves.

The major problem is that GR does not delete a tree belonging to a member, except on the very rare occasions when a member has been completely banned from the site for unacceptable behaviour.

It is up to the member to remove his / her own tree.

Of course, you can see the problem .............. members who die or become incapacitated are unable to do that.

Moral of this story is to make sure that a family member or close friend has all the information needed to access GR and remove the tree.

A second major problem is less easily solved, and it has nothing to do with GR and everything to do with the member ..................

Changing email address and not informing GR (or any other internet site) of the change.

Messages are sent to the email address on file .......... if you've changed it, the message floats around the universe.

Do keep an eye on Sent Messages, to check whether the envelope is still green (message not opened) or absent (message opened).

There is one more possibility that is connected to you personally ............... that is the type of message that you have sent.

If you have only used the GR automated message (Open Your Tree) or not explained why you want contact, then many members will ignore that message.

You need to explain clearly why you think there is a connection between your tree and that of the other member.

Jebb

Jebb Report 3 May 2017 22:26

Thank you SylviaInCanada for your reply, I am aware of all of the above apart from the 'free members' part as they cannot reply and make contact without joining, as my cousin has tried recently!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 May 2017 08:38

As soon as a person registers with GR, their details are used to start a tree.

My OH registered may moons ago but, took it no further
Years later, he received a message from a random person who wanted to know more info
( Details came up on "Search All Trees with him as the member)
OH is not the person that the researcher was looking for

There must be hundreds of trees on GR with just one or two people on it!

Jebb

Jebb Report 4 May 2017 10:10

Ah no wonder then!
Thanks for your time ect!

Carole

Carole Report 11 May 2017 18:09

What I can't understand is why members open the messages if they have no intention of replying. A sorry can't help answer doesn't take much time and then at least you can rule that member out.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 May 2017 21:45

I sometimes open a message but am not in a position to answer it at that time. Or I may need time to look myself to check the info required.

If someone has opened a message and not replied, I give them a week or so, then send a gentle reminder.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 May 2017 22:00

Carole ............

if someone sends me a message saying "Open your tree", or "I want to see your tree" .......... with no further information, not even a please or thank you

No way Jose!

That's too rude and doesn't deserve an answer, or me spending my time trying to work WHY they want to see my tree.

If they add a name or family name, and place, then yes, I will reply with "sorry I can't help", or "please give me more information so I can determine whether we have any connection".

As I said earlier ................ it all depends on HOW you ask.

Carole

Carole Report 12 May 2017 16:54

I agree with you both.

I don't expect people to reply straight away we have too busy lives.

I never ask anyone to open their tree for me until after a few message exchanges.
I always put in lots of info. so that the recipient knows I already have some and I am always happy to supply further information if it is requested. In fact I do not ask for info. in my first message I just ask they if they think we have a connection from the information I have supplied.
I always reply to messages even if it's only to say sorry I can't help you.
To me that's being polite. I even thank the people for taking the time to reply when they can't help.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 May 2017 18:16

Carole .............

thank you!!

Unfortunately, there are still people who do send "demands"!

Apart from what Shirley and I said, I have no idea why someone might open the message and not reply ................

unless it is a deceased or incapacitated member and someone else shares the same email and that person has no interest in family history.

Although one would think that a simple "sorry I cannot answer your question/request" would be easy to send!

As you say ...... it's just polite, and plain old courtesy!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 May 2017 16:39

Sylvia

* if someone sends me a message saying "Open your tree", or "I want to see your tree" .......... with no further information, not even a please or thank you

send one back saying

WHY?

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2017 17:46

Joonie

I used to do that, and got fed up with the responses that I got ...............

usually along the lines of

"Because I want to see it" :-0 :-| :-P

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 May 2017 21:12

Heh, and the answer to those ones is:

TOUGH.

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2017 22:09

:-D :-D :-D