Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 11 May 2017 16:08

I have a Robert Porter that died in Auchterarder in 2004. Is there a way of finding out who the parents are without having to order the certificate. Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 May 2017 16:29

Depends when he was born

If he was a good age and was born in Scotland you may find his info on Scotlands People

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 11 May 2017 16:44

He was 69 when he died so was born about 1935 but not totally sure if he's the right one. It's complicated. As I'm not sure if his mum and dad were married or not. I don't really have much info on him apart from the one I'm looking for dad is called jimmy (james) porter and his mum was called Margaret Cunningham

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 May 2017 10:13

So have you located his birth cert then as that will give his parents names

But for 1935 on Scotlands People you would still have to purchase the birth cert

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 12 May 2017 15:57

I haven't got his birth yet. I think he was born in the Glasgow area and he ended up in Auchterarder so that is why I was looking at the death as it might be him. I might order that 1st and see if I have the right one 1st. Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 May 2017 07:21

This one maybe but again you would have to buy the cert

From Scotlands People

Porter Robert M 1935 644/5 1393 Springburn

But you give two diff names. Ie. james and Robert which one is he ??

Unless you know different too he could still be alive as would be 82

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 May 2017 10:13

Another possibility:

PORTER
ROBERT
M
644/16 300
Tradeston

Or, if he had a middle name:

PORTER
ROBERT MACDONAL[D]
M
625/3 766
Bellshill

James was Debbie's Robert's father, if I've read her post correctly.

But anyway, you need the death cert, Debbie, which should give names of parents, and wife, if any.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 May 2017 17:41

For that matter, depending on his exact birth and death dates, any of these could be him, too:

PORTER
ROBERT
M
644/2 474
Camlachie

PORTER
ROBERT
M
644/17 895
Gorbals

And there are another three with middle names born in 1934.

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 13 May 2017 22:20

Thank you. Yes James is the dad. I have ordered the death cert and I think the Springburn one might be his birth.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2017 06:29

I took it that James is the father but why would he have died as Robert was my query ???

And born in 1935 he could still be alive. ,unless you know he has passed away

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 14 May 2017 09:09

Yes he could be still alive but I know they lived in Auchterarder and I found that death in 2004 and the age sounds about right so just finding out if it's him or not. It's a complicated family as I don't have much on them and I'm trying to put little bits together to make some sense out of it.