Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 4 Aug 2017 12:09

Hello
Does anyone know if the birth records are amended to show the adopted name or does the record remain in the birth surname? I am trying to locate someone born c1912 so not sure what the set up was then.

Thank you

Christine

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Aug 2017 12:41

Official adoption didn't begin until around 1927 I think, in any case the birth reg will be in birth name,on freebmd.org.uk or on the GRO index.

Christine

Christine Report 4 Aug 2017 12:51

Thank you that was very helpful

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 17 Aug 2017 15:32

I discovered a sister of my mothers about 5 years ago (she didn't know about this sister - she was only 3 at the time of her birth) and applied for a birth certificate only to find that the word adopted was shown on the birth certificate. The birth was registered in birth parents name, so I had no way of discovering her adopted name... until...

A couple of days ago, I checked the 1939 register for my mums father (my grandfather) only to discover the adopted daughter was shown on the register under her birth name, and the name was crossed through in red and her adopted name was shown. This could be a "one off" as the register was 12 years after the birth of the daughter, so I have no idea why her name should be shown!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Aug 2017 00:39

the 1939 Register was used as the basis for the NHS when that came in in 1947, and was constanly updated from 1939 to ca 1991.

Hence why you see women with married name(s) as well as maiden name.

I would think however that the child's adopted name being shown was accidental as usually that information was kept secret ........... unless she was not adopted until after 1939??????

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Aug 2017 18:02

As Sylvia inferred, the 1927 law allowed the adoption of minor children (minor in those days meant under 21) - so children b 1912 could be legally adopted after 1927; I eould presume your 12 y.o. on 1939 register wasn't adopted until after the register was formed, and her name change was recorded like any other by just crossing out the old name and adding the new one.