Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Display of census information and copyright

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 28 Nov 2020 16:32

Hi Everyone.
I hope I, ve understood this right I just need clarification. If someone can help
I, d like to do a display at work next year
showing the census information.of the soldiers who lived in the barracks where I work At Upnor Castle.
It would be on display for the public
On my understanding from a conversation held with a gentleman of the national archives displaying a copy of the actual census returns comes under Crown copyright. To use it in a public display can be done
But a copy of the census to be used must be obtained from them for a fee
I understand all that but what I'm not sure about is how then are we allowed to print copies of the census off of sites like Genes?
Is it because it's only for personal research?
I s there anyway of displaying the information legally without
Using an actual copy of the original?
I just wanted to check as I don't want to get my place of work in trouble
For breaking the law
Can anyone clarify this?
Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Nov 2020 17:06

The info posted on here is a transcription of the census, which is the intellectual property of the companies which have transcribed them. No-one posts originals on here.
Those of us who download originals to our computers for our personal trees have paid to access the info, but cannot use them for anything else.,which is backed up by the answer about the originals you had from the NA man

That’s my ‘take’ on things - others may differ

Karen

Karen Report 28 Nov 2020 17:27

So I m not allowed to display the photo copies I've take of the "photo copies" of the original census displayed on this and other like sites
Just wanted to double check before I purchase copies from the NA

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Nov 2020 17:45

If you mean you want to show the IMAGE publicly on GR - there's no way to do that except in your personal tree.

I don't know if there's a way to do it on other sites - but there shouldn't be, as you're not allowed to.

The "gentleman of the national archives" and ErkiaH are both correct.

Karen

Karen Report 28 Nov 2020 18:17

No I would, nt be showing it on genes reunited
I m doing an exhibition at the castle on the lives of the soldiers that lived there included in the exhibition I wanted to show photocopies of the original census books showing the soldiers names
I've read around on the Internet and found a site that stated that census
Documents become public domain after 125 years and are free to use after that period however if a site like genes reunited copies them for their users
Use the copyright has now in effect passed to them(Genes reunited)
I can get copies from the NA to display They are around £8 for each document plus a copy charge.. I was just trying to find out if I could use the copies already printed from this site or do I need permission from Genes or to pay them if I went down this route?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Nov 2020 18:29

Do you mean a copy of the image, or a copy of the transcription?

As far as GR is concerned, ask them at:
[email protected]

They usually reply within about 3-5 working days, though it might take a bit longer at present.

Karen

Karen Report 28 Nov 2020 18:53

I wanted to display a copy of the image. the original from the enumerators book... Yes I emailed them just before I saw your reply
i, ll let you know the outcome :-)