Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haribo

Haribo Report 21 Mar 2021 10:18

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already.

Will the 1921 uk census be free to access online please?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Mar 2021 10:52

It won't be free. It will definitely be on Findmypast and not sure about other genealogy sites and no one knows yet whether it will be part of any subscription we may already have or whether it will cost extra.

It is due to be released in January 2022 but Findmypast has already said that it may be slightly delayed because of Covid 19.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2021 10:53

A Google search would give you lots of answers to your query.

It will be available on FMP, at least at first, so you'll need a sub to FMP to access it (if not an additional payment).

I expect there will be a huge number of requests on these boards for look-ups!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2021 10:55

It will never be free online - and FMP have indicated that accessing it may require an extra payment on top of any subscription to their site

Why not GOOGLE for info?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Mar 2021 11:07

Extract taken from Findmypast (I hadn't seen this before):-

Is there any way I can view the images for free?

Anyone will be able to view the images of the 1921 census for free online at The National Archives. The original census document will not be available in the reading rooms and there are no plans to produce microfiche. Searching the 1921 Census will be free on Findmypast but viewing an images or transcriptions will not.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2021 12:00

This (below) sounds as if you have to be physically at the National Archives in Kew to see the English/Welsh census records free:

"The release dates for Scotland and England & Wales are different, as the Scottish census was taken separately.

At the time of writing (19 January 2021) the Scottish census was scheduled for release in 2021, with a statement on the National Records of Scotland website reading: The 1921 census will be released in 2021 after its 100 year closure period has ended. This census will be released by ScotlandsPeople.

Again at the time of writing, the 1921 census for England and Wales looks set to be released at the start of 2022.
FindMyPast has been chosen as the commercial partner for The National Archives to make the 1921 census available online. They will capture digital images and transcribe the records to allow family historians (and anyone else interested!) to explore them. Researchers will also be able to see the images free of charge at The National Archives in Kew.

Can I access the 1921 census for free?
The 1921 census is available from ScotlandsPeople (Scotland) and FindMyPast which charge a subscription or use a paid credits system and so access is not free. However, it will be possible to view the England and Wales 1921 census for free at the UK National Archives, Kew. Some libraries and archives also offer library members free access to the library version of FindMyPast."

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to-guides/1921-census-release-for-england-scotland-and-wales/
(Article dated 19 Jan 2021 )

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Mar 2021 15:05

I haven’t been to Kew for ages but you were certainly able to see FMP for free.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2021 16:14

The piece Kath posted from FMP website sounded as if the census could be seen online at the National Archives website - but maybe that's just the way it came across to me.
And is not the case.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2021 16:32

From FMP

Owing to the restrictions associated with numerous pandemic lockdowns during 2020 and 2021 that have affected work on digitising the 1921 census records, there is a possibility there may be a small delay to the original release date of January 2022. We are working hard to overcome these challenges and are committed to publishing the historic 1921 census records online as soon as possible in early 2022.

The price of accessing record images and transcripts will be announced nearer to the date of release.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Mar 2021 17:05

I think it means that if you visit Kew you don’t need a sub for the sites.

Haribo

Haribo Report 21 Mar 2021 17:19

Thanking you all for your reply’s, I did google before posting and saw that it would be available on FMP but it didn’t say if it would be free, as I had little time to look properly ( am at work) I thought it would be quicker to get the answer on here.

The 1901/1911 Irish census are free and has been very useful to me, I have never had to look at a UK census before.

Many thanks again Trish.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2021 18:00

To sum up, for the English/Welsh 1921 census - it's free to see if you go in person to Kew, or maybe can get free access to FMP in a library, but otherwise you need a sub to FMP ( and possibly an extra payment) - or ask on here!
Somebody who does have a sub to FMP will be happy to help - unless an extra payment is required per view.

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Mar 2021 01:28

Hanbo - as you may know the 1921 English wad delayed for abt 5 wks due to a paper shortage. The 1921 Irish census was delayed for 5 years due tocivil war..
The 1921 Irish census was eventually hed simultaneously in both Irelands in 1926, but the 1926 NI census was pretty much completely destroyed for scrap in WW2.