Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARE WE RELATED?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 7 May 2021 11:31

Good morning one and all, I trust that you all remain well and safe?

Can you assist please? My brain is fuddled. It concerns the possible relationship of someone to me via my Great Grandfather. Someone has contacted me and said that my Great Grandfather is their 3rd Great Grandfather. Are we therefore related in some way, shape or form? I have contacted them but they haven't got back to me as yet. It's puzzling me as to how this would work out.

As ever, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 May 2021 11:42

Yes. You will be something like first cousins several times removed. The other person is potentially much younger than you.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 May 2021 11:45

I might depend on your ages. Are you elderly and they are very young?

Have you researched all your g-grandfather's children and their descendants?

But maybe their ancestor just has the same name as your
g-grandfather, and they've latched onto that without proper checking.
Too much of that is evident on people's trees.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 7 May 2021 11:53

Hi, thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. I am in my early 70's and I believe they are probably early 40's. They have a public tree on Ancestry as do I but I don;t know their real name and as to whether they are male or female so was wondering if there is anyway that I can work out who they are if they don;t get back to me. They definitely have some of my ancestors in their tree. How far down the line of my Great Grandfather would I have to go as he had several children? It's a mystery and a puzzle.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 May 2021 12:27

Can you see from their tree how they worked back to your supposedly mutual ancestor?
If the relationship is correct, they must have one of your g-grandfather's children in their tree.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 May 2021 12:31

If you have a mutual ancestor - however distant - you are related.

Have you verified their 'research'?

What are you trying to establish? Simply the probably tenuous connection - or something else?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 7 May 2021 12:32

Hi. Am not sure how to work that out. Wil have to look a it again. It may take me sometime as my brain isn't functioning too well. All the research I've done over the years one would think that this would be easy for me.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 May 2021 23:05

I would say you are second cousins twice removed but you can check for yourself with this calculator:-

https://www.rhodesfamily.org.uk/relationship.html#gsc.tab=0

Kath. x

Kense

Kense Report 9 May 2021 18:15

Do you look at the DNA Matches on Ancestry?. If your trees match then they should be near the top of the list and it should indicate that you have a common ancestor.
Selecting View Match should show how you are related.

Edit : I should have said both trees should be linked for the above to work. Second cousins twice removed will probably be classed as 4th to 6th cousins in the Ancestry Match list.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 11 May 2021 17:59

Good evening all. Thank you again for your input. I have now heard from the lady and as Kathleen Bell predicted we are 2nd Cousins 2 x removed.

All your help has, as ever, been much appreciated.

Take care and stay safe.

Kindest regards,

Kathryn