Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unemplymentbact

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Feb 2022 09:39

On my father's 1932 birth cert it states its for the unemployment act??

It was officially signed 1946 so he would of only been 14yr old.
Surely he wouldn't have claimed anything at that age.
Or was it proof of his age for his parents to claim.

Thanks guys x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2022 10:28

Not certain but I think it would have been when your father was starting work and he had to prove his age.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Feb 2022 11:01

Found by googling!

The Unemployment Act 1934 was an Act of Parliament in the United Kingdom, reaching statute on 28 June 1934. It reduced the age at which a person entered the National Insurance scheme to 14 and made the claiming age 16 years. It also separated benefits earned by paying National Insurance and those purely based on need

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Feb 2022 12:31

1939 the government considered raising the leaving age again to 15, but this was delayed due to the onset of World War Two. The Education Act 1944 did succeed in extending compulsory education to 15, and this took effect from 1947.

So he would have left school at 14 and needed to prove his age

I left school at 15 in 1952 !

Debbie

Debbie Report 5 Feb 2022 22:15

thank you so much . xx

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Feb 2022 12:06

Although much earlier and in Scotland , my grandmother (1888) had to have a similar document in 1902 to prove she was 14 when she started work.