Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 7 Feb 2022 22:56

When will the 1921 census be on GenesReunited? Come on, please tell us! :-)

Derek

Derek Report 7 Feb 2022 23:28

judging by its sad performance on Findmypast..I should probably ignore it!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Feb 2022 09:26

Findmypast have exclusive rights to the 1921 census for up to three years.

"As The National Archives’ digitisation partner, Findmypast is the only genealogy website to offer access to the 1921 Census of England and Wales. This exclusivity will last for up to three years. During that time, Findmypast is the only place online to search the 1921 Census, as well as view images and transcriptions of the records.

The 1921 Census online at Findmypast is free to view on the premises at The National Archives at Kew, at the Manchester Central Library, and at the National Library of Wales, in Aberystwyth. "
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/4409228107665-is-the-1921-census-available-anywhere-else-online-

You can do a free basic search on FMP without being a subscriber, but have to pay-per-view for a detailed transcription or to see the image.
There are lots of mistakes in the transcriptions, however.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Feb 2022 11:24

You won't get a response from GR by posting on here.

You'll have to e-mail them

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Feb 2022 11:24

Other threads about 1921

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1399559

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1399605

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2022 11:25

Believe when it looked like the 1921 census release looked to being shelved through lack of funds then Find My Past funded the completion of it in exchange for exclusive rights to it

Which is why too they are charging to open the records to try and recoup some of their costs

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2022 11:57

We also had to pay extra for the 1911 for a while. I was lucky then as I was able to go to Kew - now I don't fancy the drive.

Kense

Kense Report 8 Feb 2022 19:41

I would imagine that it won't be in a FMP subscription until they have covered their costs or until three years are up. So if everybody is waiting until it is in a FMP subscription, then there will be a three year wait, although they might make it earlier if there is a prospect of many new subscribers.