Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish burial Plots/Lairs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 12 Feb 2022 16:25

I have found one of my ancestors grave , he died 1922 in Glasgow ,also in the same lair are 4 others, one is his mother in law she died 1916 and the other his sister in law who died in 1930.

The other 2 in the lair I don't recognize , one died 1932 and the other person died 1945 .

According to the cemetery records it is my ancestor who is the grave owner.

Does anyone know if it's normal practise to bury others apart from family in the same lair.

I have found on Scotlandspeople a birth and death for for both ,one born 1932 and died 1932 the other person born 1921 and died 1945,

any help would be great, thank you
I don't want to use up my credits on SP if they are not relatives.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2022 16:38

Don’t know about Scotland but it’s not usual in England

You buy the plot for a period of time and after the time expires then it can be reused

That’s municipal cemeteries though

Maybe you could enquire from the local council of the area

But they may not know if there is a family connection anyway

Think you may have to look at the actual record on SP

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Feb 2022 16:50

Unless you have researched thoroughly, you can’t really be sure the others are not connected.

Jean

Jean Report 12 Feb 2022 16:50

Thanks Shrley,
That's what I'm thinking maybe something to do with the time lapse between burials,

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Feb 2022 18:08

Your ancestor was not the owner of the lair after his death in 1922.

"2.1.6 The Lairholder may bequeath the Lair to any member of his family or to any unrelated person"
https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=32499&p=0

These rules are later than the burials you mention, but may be much the same as what was in force before.
Or maybe not! You'll have to ask the Glasgow City Archives what the rules were at the time.

https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Burial-Lair-and-Cremation-Registers.aspx

Jean

Jean Report 13 Feb 2022 11:22

Thank you ArgyllGran and sorry for the late reply,

I'll e.mail the Mitchell and see what they have to say,
Don't know why I didn't think of the Mitchell before.