Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatW

PatW Report 16 Feb 2022 12:57

If I send a message to someone and the person doesn’t answer is there any way I can find out if the person is still a member?
Thank you
Connie

alviegal

alviegal Report 16 Feb 2022 13:16

If you click on the person's name and the screen shows 'start typing name of contact' or is blank, then the person is no longer a member.

PatW

PatW Report 16 Feb 2022 13:35

Many thanks. I will try that.
Connie

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Feb 2022 14:23

Also, check if the little ' green envelope' in your 'sent' messages is still closed or not. If it has disappeared, then the recipient is aware of your message and has at least clicked on it to open it.

PatW

PatW Report 16 Feb 2022 14:56

I’ve looked at the envelope and yes it’s still closed and that’s what made me think that the person isn’t a member anymore.
Connie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Feb 2022 15:03

You wouldn't have been able to send the message in the first place if the person wasn't a member.

If the message has gone into their junk mail folder, they may not have noticed it.

Or if they've never received a GR email before, they may be afraid to click on the link in case it's some sort of scam.

Or they may have changed their email address without telling GR, in which case they won't have received your message.

PatW

PatW Report 16 Feb 2022 18:17

Thank you for that Argyllgran.
I was looking in my tree at a family member and in the left hand corner there was a note that he MIGHT be in someone else’s tree so I looked and sent the other member a message. Message not opened yet and that’s why I asked how could you find out if they were still members. I’m living in hope but thank you all for your messages.
Connie.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Feb 2022 12:31

Just adding an example;

Someone started a thread on GR on 14th Feb, and I posted quite a bit of research.
On 16th Feb I sent her a PM, to let her know there were replies on her thread.

Three days later, she has not yet read my message

Maybe she's ill; maybe her computer has crashed; maybe . . . . . . maybe . . . . .

PatW

PatW Report 19 Feb 2022 19:55

I’ve just looked and my message still hasn’t been read.