Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA matching

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Mar 2022 10:33

For those that have done their dna. Do you ever look at the little pictures or the names and think I don’t want to be associated with that.

I recently had a match with someone with the same surname as an international drug lord. I have also spotted chest barring in some of the little pics ( men obviously).

But I’ve just had a match with someone with the surname of a well known fashion house - maybe I’ll ask……….

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Mar 2022 11:04

I did ancestry dna but I ignore any matches where no tree loaded

If someone has one of my ancestors listed in their tree then I will message

One I remember as a wow was a tree that had my grt grt grt grandfathers second wife name

Both widowed before and they married in 1852 , I’m descended from one of their daughters born 1857

So the match was descended from one of the sons from her first marriage and she was our mutual ancestor

Still gives me a wow dna really does work
;-) ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Mar 2022 11:51

If the match without a tree is over 20cms then I check who they Share match with, then I can make a note.

I’ve not managed to crack brick walls with one own lines as the walls a just a little too far back and no one seems to have cracked it, mostly because those few relatives haven’t done any research. However, I did manage to work out the grandfather of my OH.

Luckily, the ones with the strange names or very odd pics are very far down on the cm scores ;-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Mar 2022 10:17

I really must sort out a DNA test.
I have one here waiting for me, but when it arrived, I was on antibiotics, so decided to wait, then other health issues needed attention.
Now things are calmer, it would be good to see if I could get any help towards finding a Welsh ancestor with a very common surname.
I have suspects in mind from circumstantial evidence, but it would be good to see if I could find a more positive lead.

Someone I know did a test. He is British and of mixed race parentage, but family gave him information about names and locations for several generations back (Carribbean and South American link)
When the results came through, the strongest link was to parts of Nigeria, so presumably linked to the slave trade., which was surprising, but so interesting.

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Mar 2022 17:58

My wife's grandfather is unknown but there is a DNA match with someone with 3% shared DNA, 198cM over 8 segments.
How strong is the likelyhood that this could tie in with her father's birth?
They have two unlinked public trees on Ancestry but with only 3 and 4 persons on each!
Is it worth messaging them?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2022 18:31

That would be around 2nd cousin or more. Can you build a tree with the information on those 2 trees.

Are there any useful shared matches.? You are more likely to find a possible generation group rather than the grandfather. Unless you get a much closer match.