Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hard Copy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Codge

Codge Report 23 Mar 2022 17:03

Looking for recommendations on how members keep a hard copy of their trees and individual members of trees. What does anyone use?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 23 Mar 2022 17:24

Big hand written chart for the main tree , although that doesn’t include the twigs only main stems. Family group records fill in the twigs.

For individuals, I give copy certificates and sources a unique number. I have a card index system with a separate card for each person and record the unique number for each event relating them on the card. Makes it easier for filing marriage certificates and census records that relate to more than one person.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Mar 2022 17:25

Welcome to the boards, Codge.

If your tree is on GR, then unless it's a very small tree, it's impossible to print it out in one go.

There are lots of family tree programmes which allow you to print your tree in various formats - chart, narrative, etc.

I use the free version of RootsMagic:

https://www.rootsmagic.com/try/

But there are many other such programmes, some free, some paid for.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Mar 2022 17:27

If you mean actual certificates, etc, as Rootgatherer mentions, there's an old thread full of suggestions:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1170899

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Mar 2022 21:40

I run an ancestry report from my family tree program and have it in an individual family file with certificates I have bought and census printouts for the particular side of the family