Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baby death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 18 Aug 2022 14:05

I have found a baby who was 1 month old in the 1921 census. No trace of birth or death certificates. I am assuming the baby died.
The family were poor and this was their first child, as far as I can ascertain.
With little money and no death registered, could the baby have been buried in a coffin of some other recently deseased ?
How were these baby deaths treated then?
Any one help?
Sue

Susan

Susan Report 18 Aug 2022 14:19

Just to add to this post. This family adopted a baby girl, tho there are no official records, whos birthday was given as 22nd May 1921. I have no idea when she was adopted. The parents, William and Alice went
on to have another son in August 1922, a daughter in 1925 and another son in 1928. All 3 lived til old age, as did their adopted daughter.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Aug 2022 14:40

I would have thought that if the baby was over a month old it would have had to have been registered for both birth and death. I think you had about 6 weeks to register the birth.
The undertaker could have taken pity on the parents and added the baby to another coffin so the burial place can’t now be found.

Could tthe adopted girl actually be the month old baby. The census date was the. 19th June. You won’t be able to find out about her natural parents.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2022 14:44

As the 1921 census was taken on 19th June, that sounds like a reasonable idea, Nameslessone - ie - that the baby could be the adopted girl. [ EDIT: And now you've added the date to your post, too.]

Was the baby on the census a girl, Sue?

Kuros

Kuros Report 18 Aug 2022 16:12

There was no formal adoption until 1928. Children were usually "taken in" by relatives who brought them up. These births would have been registered because there were no privacy laws regarding these informal adoptions.There are a couple of these instances in my family, my grandmother being one of them. I have her birth certificate which names her mother.

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Aug 2022 16:37

Is the child on 1939 register?

Presumably the infant’s name is recorded in 1921?

If you want people to help, give names and location, although it seems logical to assume that the infant is the adoptee

What does the 1921 census say about the child and its parents?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Aug 2022 17:33

It’s quite possible that the child had not yet been named when they completed the census form.
I’m sure I’ve seen registrations without the first name. Not everyone is quick to agree on a name.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2022 09:39

The child must have been named in 1921 - how else could the poster have looked for certs?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2022 10:01

By searching for any births in the expected location, in the A/M/J qr of 1921, with the correct combination of parents' surnames.

I expect the child's surname was given in 1921, but we don't know if the first name was stated or not.

We need to wait for Sue to clarify.

You're correct, Nameslessone - there are lots of birth registrations with no first name.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2022 10:40

That’s certainly possible, but…………..

To answer a different question posed by the poster, an undertaker could not have buried a child without a death cert having been provided, unless he was willing to risk prosecution

Also - any child which takes one unaided breath has to have its birth registered

BUT......no-one can really help in this instance without some data on which to work

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Aug 2022 11:35

It wasn’t a perfect world back then either. It is just that the imperfections change over time.

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Aug 2022 15:20

"Registered respiration" has to take place before it's considered a live birth. My son registered respiration after five minutes. This is written on his medical records.This was in 1979, things may well have been different in earlier times.

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2022 13:35

PM sent asking poster to return with info. Opened..................