Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Ethnicity Inheritance

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Aug 2022 15:36

Ancestry have jiggled their results again. They are doinmy head in added 2 more Europepn areas and changed all the others % some of them big changes. :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Aug 2022 15:56

Presumably this is connected with their DNA testing??

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Aug 2022 16:03

Of course it is. Ancestry use a reference panel to work out their results.
A data result is only as good as the data that is actually input.

It is just that sometimes the results you are given can be really weird.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Aug 2022 16:27

Thanks for that Names. My DNA (75% English) is now a bit closer to my tree which is 100% English back to 18th century. Still they do admit a wide range of error in the English estimate which could be between 64% and 100%.

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Sep 2022 16:43

Ancestry have me as 15% Scottish despite hardly anyone having come from further north than Cambridgeshire for the last 300 years.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Sep 2022 17:24

But at least you can now see which parent is a secret Scot/

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Sep 2022 17:50

As the DNA ethnicity results are by matching with people who live in a particular area, then as more data is available, then the results are bound to jiggle a bit.

I don't really understand my results either, but I have some useful matches.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Oct 2022 15:42

Ancestry have done some sorting for us. They have allocated matches to one or other parent.
Some are unassigned. They say it is because some of them are new but that doesn’t explain a good match to my OH which has been there forever. :-S