Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving Ancestry Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 2 May 2023 03:35

Morning All

I have never saved a record I have found on Ancestry - census etc - thinking it would just end up bunging up my computer. Now I'm thinking I might be wrong.

Other trees have lists of family etc and links leading to census entries etc and I wondered where they came from. So if I save a record, does it just save it in cyberspace attached to the Ancestry record I was looking for?

I have a feeling that any replies will make me feel a bit silly!

Thanks

Duncan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 May 2023 08:38

Why not try saving a record then looking for it afterwards?

I’m pretty sure that the system will ask you where you want it to be saved……………

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 May 2023 09:49

You have the choice of saving a record to your computer, or to your "shoebox".

The Shoebox® is a (web-only) folder on Ancestry® where you can store records you’re not ready to attach to your tree.

To add a record to your tree that's in your Shoebox, click on the record. Then, click Save > Save to someone in your tree.

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/The-Ancestry-Shoebox

So I assume that saved records will not "bung up" your computer, unless you save them specifically to your computer.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 May 2023 09:51

Or try asking Ancestry:

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/contactsupport/

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 3 May 2023 05:50

Erika...good idea, thank you, but...

ArgyllGran... thank you for the link, shoebox doesn't seem to attach to the tree though, so I'm going with your second suggestion and contacting Ancestry for advice.

Thanks Both

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 May 2023 09:48

If you can see the records on Ancestry trees, that’s where they’re stored - on Ancestry.

Kense

Kense Report 13 May 2023 15:55

If you have a late version of Family Tree Maker on your PC, you can synch your tree to the off-line version on FTM. In that way all your records on Ancestry are copied to your PC and held in a folder in the family tree data area.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 May 2023 02:27

Thanks all for your help. By experimenting I have found that saved records are indeed just saved on Ancestry, so I am now catching up. It's a long job.

Kense thank you, it's a not applicable to me though - sounds far too complicated for me!

Kense

Kense Report 14 May 2023 22:34

I am not 100% sure but I think if you stop your Ancestry subscription you can still see your tree but you will no longer be able to see the records and images that you have stored in it.

That is why I like having an off-line copy, provided by FTM, where the records remain available. It also provides a backup to my Ancestry tree.