Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information about other people

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 1 Jan 2024 17:46

Through being an executor to a will I have information in my possession about that person, eg photographs, certificates etc. I have kept these safe but they do not relate to me or any living relatives. Any suggestions about what to do with this information?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jan 2024 18:46

Welcome to the boards, Colin.

". . . they do not relate to . . . . any living relatives"

But they do relate to their deceased relative, if I'm understanding your post correctly. (I assume you mean living relatives of the deceased person?)

Unless the deceased person specifically instructed you not to pass the information to his/her relatives, I think the information should be given to them.

What they may then decide to do with it is up to them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2024 19:29

One would have expected the Will to include instructions for disposal of effects of the deceased.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jan 2024 21:09

I can understand someone having odd photos but certificates? Was the deceased into family history and
Purchase certificates in the hope they were the right ones?

There used to be a site for unwanted certificates. Or you could look to see if anyone is researching those names by looking at Search/ search all members trees.

If they are old ones maybe you could offer them to the relevant family history society.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jan 2024 22:52

If I'm understanding Colin's post correctly, the information is about the deceased person.

"Through being an executor to a will I have information in my possession about that person. . ."

Colin

Colin Report 2 Jan 2024 00:07

Thank you to those who answered my question. I will see if anyone is in the search.
It was a long time ago. In rare cases no living contacts are in a will and no relations turn up for the funeral. All assets go to charities. Everything was done which complied to the will and solicitor

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Jan 2024 19:32

Depending on who the person was and if they had any local 'interest', a Museum or Archives might take the info off you. Or if the photos have interesting features that date them, vehicles, fashion etc, then collectors might be interested, say at an Antiques Centre.