Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA advise

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 Jan 2024 15:30

I am thinking of doing my dna I have a half brother but I don’t know who he is my dad always told me that he was the father of a son but at the time I wasn’t interested he has passed away now so I can’t find out who the lady was we are talking late 40’s, I am not on ancestry so if I was to do one maybe if my half brother wasn’t on it his siblings could be then would I get a message to follow it further?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jan 2024 16:26

You would notified if and when you have a match. It is then up to you to work out the relevance of the match.
If the half brother or his own half siblings have not tested then it gets more complicated. You are not a blood relative of his own half siblings so they wouldn’t show up as a match to you as you don’t share any of your dna with them.

There are several companies with which you can test with although Ancestry has the most number tested.

But beware that there is ‘chat’ about Ancestry bringing in charges to view your matches if you don’t have a sub. I think that currently you can see more of your distant matches with a sub.

Sidami

Sidami Report 14 Jan 2024 21:12

If he has children and they do a dna that would possibly link to me do you think?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Jan 2024 08:49

Yes they will,,,,,,,,,anyone who shares the same relatives will have a common link to them by DNA,alhough it may be a very low % it will still surface.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jan 2024 09:17

Read up on how to understand dna results before paying out for a test, they are not cheap. Results will tell you how many centimorgans you share but will not tell you exactly what that relationship is. The company may suggest what it is but it is only their judgement of the results. It is difficult for them to make an accurate guess.

The Lost Cousins dna masterclass is very good.