Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

roll of honour in church

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 7 Apr 2007 12:08

hi, i have found a roll of honor online for the parish church of west rainton, durham. it is for those of the parish that died during the 1st world war 1914-1919. listed on it is a J LACKEY. (my direct line is the lackeys and they were from west rainton durham.) how do i find out IF this is 1 of my ancestors?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2007 12:12

have you checked on the CWCG site more info might be on there like son of ,,or husband of.,, Shirley

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 7 Apr 2007 12:14

Name: LACKEY, JAMES Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lance Corporal Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry Unit Text: 'C' Coy. 18th Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 03/05/1917 Service No: 18/533 Awards: M M Additional information: Adopted son of Jos. and Mary Sheldon, of 3, Johnson's Buildings, West Rainton, Fence Houses, Co. Durham. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 8. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 7 Apr 2007 12:14

no i hadn't thought of that - even though i use that site. thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2007 12:15

Had a look for you and think this is him Name: LACKEY, JAMES Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lance Corporal Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry Unit Text: 'C' Coy. 18th Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 03/05/1917 Service No: 18/533 Awards: M M Additional information: Adopted son of Jos. and Mary Sheldon, of 3, Johnson's Buildings, West Rainton, Fence Houses, Co. Durham. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 8. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 7 Apr 2007 12:17

Ah, Shirley got the hang of it quicker than me. Here's his details on the National Archives site which you can download immediately for £3.50: Description Medal card of Lackey, James Corps Regiment No Rank Durham Light Infantry 18/533 Private Date 1914-1920 Catalogue reference WO 372/11 Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (£) 222064 / 42358 PDF 1.2 1 235 1 3.50 Total Price (£) 3.50

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 7 Apr 2007 13:06

hi, thanks everyone. it does all add in with my james lackey born 1893. the only problem is proving it is my james lackey. as i dont have parents for him, BUT it does say he is adopted son of jos and mary sheldon. also, on the 1901 census, my james (living with aunt and uncle aged 8) was born in ireland. but cwgc doesnt have an option for the person to be irish. - all the irish lot in my lackey's are from northern ireland which is classed as uk anyway.

Douglas

Douglas Report 30 Mar 2015 00:21

Hello, I noticed from yopur post that you are of the direct line of the Lackeys from West Reignham. My name is Leonard Douglas Lackey and my father, William Lackey, always said that his cousin was Cecil Lackey who was a chorester in Durham Cathedral. I have tried to connect our family to Cecyl's but have not had any luck. It would be great to hear from you and maybe we can connect our families.
Regards, Douglas

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Mar 2015 00:50

Douglas - This is an old post, and it's quite likely Yummy-Mummy is not following it.
I would click on her name, and send her a private messsage - if she still has the same email addy GR has on file for her, then she'll be notified there's a message for her.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 30 Mar 2015 13:36

It may be that the OP is no longer on GR's books...........there are 0 posts to the name

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2015 20:20

"It is not possible to send a message to this member. Their account may be deleted."

What a shame

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Apr 2015 12:16

Douglas, here's Cecil in 1911 if it's any help to you.

Name: Cecil Lackey
Age in 1911: 6
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Relation to Head: Son (Child)
Birth Place: West Rainton, Durham, England
Civil Parish: West Rainton
County/Island: Durham
Street address: 15 Church St West Rainton
Registration district: Houghton le Spring
Registration District Number: 553
Sub-registration district: Hetton le Hole
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Piece: 30083
Household Members:
Name Age
Gardiner Lackey 29
Margaret Ann Lackey 33
Cecil Lackey 6
William Lackey 5
Olive Lackey 2
James Gardiner Lackey 11/12

If you would like some help to find the connection to your family, perhaps you could give us some more details about your father.

Alternately you could start a thread of your own on the Find Ancestors board.

Good luck with your research.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Apr 2015 12:24

As you can see Gardiner had a few brothers. Perhaps one of them was your Grandfather or Great Grandfather? My Mum had several Cousins who she referred to as Aunts because of the age difference as called their children her cousins. If was only when I started researching that I found that those cousins were first cousins once removed.

Name: Gardiner Lackey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Son (Child)
Father's name: Robert Lackey
Mother's name: Mary Jane Lackey
Where born: West Rainton, Durham, England
Civil Parish: West Rainton
Ecclesiastical parish: West Rainton
Town: West Rainton
County/Island: Durham
Street address:

Condition as to marriage: